building a sump for 500 liter tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by hassen, 3 Sep 2009.

1. hassen

hassen

I am completely new to the hobby and i have a 1.5 m tank that has space under the cabinet for a sthe existing sump is cracked and i want to build a new sump for marine fishkeeping, please sent me details on what is the best sump setup, the space i have is about 1200(l) x 400(w) x 450(h) i want to know how many chambers, size of each chamber and baffle arrangements

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Falcon

Falcon

hey hassen slmz and welcome to masa!

sumps are quite easy really,if you want to make it complicated you can,but rather not make it too complicated.

basic and effective sump design is three chambers.

1.for your skimmer
    2.for your dsb
    3.for your return pump

the skimmer section size should be obviously only slightly bigger than your skimmer,what skimmer do you have?

the dsb you should try to make it as big as possible and remember to have a minimum height of at least 40cm as 15-20cm of this will be for your dsb

the return chamber should not be too small or shallow also as the water level here changes with evaporation.

rather leave the baffles out they are not needed,i'll draw a sketch for you just now

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  4. Falcon

Falcon

this does not have an auto top up tank(ATO tank) did you have any ATO plans in mind?

[​IMG]

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Slmz and Welcome to MASA Hassen.
    Follow Falcon's advice, you in good hands.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome .

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

8. hassen

hassen Thread Starter

sump design

thanks guys for all the replies, i did not buy a sump, which sump is good for a 50 litre setup, also falcon says no baffle just overflows from one to another, doesnt that cause too many bubbles, If a build a sump, 90 x 35 x 40, divide into three equal sections, one for skimmer, one for DSB and one for return. will this work well.,

9. hassen

hassen Thread Starter

hi falcon

i mean i did not buy a skimmer yet, which is best for 500 litres and whats the footprint

the sump which ib broken is 90 x 35 x 40, first chamber is 35 second is 25 third is 30, the water enters first chamber from above, leaves from under chamber one and enter above chamber two, leaves from under chamber two and enters above chamber 3, the pump then takes from here back to tank,

Also the tank has 4 T5 lights on the top which are 54 watt and kelvin rating of 6000K, is this sufficient, note that the tank has a hight of about 65cm from light to substate. for now I will only have live rock with fish,

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Slmz and welcome hassan.

I would certainly suggest a Section for an ATO in the sump as manually filling up is a pain. Ideally a baffle in the last chamber to stop the bubbles is a good idea. Skimmer ideally a TS3 or DNW200 would be a good choice as with a FO tank you will be having lotsa waste to deal with.

11. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Hassan.

Good luck with the tank build. Please don't be afraid to ask any questions.

Please check with us here, BEFORE you spend any money!

This is a great hobby to be in. Albeit an extremely addictive and fascinating and enriching one!

Enjoy mate!

12. Falcon

Falcon

Can you post some pics so we can see what you mean?

dont use that broken sump rather maximise your new sump as big as you can,you said you can make it 1,2m correct?

if so then firstly,i have no baffles and no micro bubbles in both my tanks that have sumps,so i dont see how this will be a problem.

secondly there are alot of decent skimmers out there,for your size tank a Reeftek ts2,Via-aqua-sk388,Aqua excel or even something exotic like bubble magnus etc will work.keep away from the weipro's and jebos etc as they need lotsa tuning and sometimes mods to get working well...most will fit in a footprint of say 40x40.

then theres chamber 2 for dsb i would make this at least 60cm long and the last chamber can be 20cm or even less but keep it also deep as long as your return pump fits then its fine.and REMEMBER WATER NEEDS TO FLOW OVER YOUR DSB NOT THROUGH so chamber two must be fed from the top and water must leave from the top.look at my sketch its quite clear as to sump design boet.

as for the lights the 4 x 54w 6000k t5's should work just fine but only for softies.you may want to change a few of them to 10000k and 20000k to make your tank more blue which is visually more appealing and will make your corals look better.but 6000k is good for growth.

IF YOU want to keep other corals and possibly an anemone after your tank has matured a bit YOU NEED ATLEAST ANOTHER 4X 54W T5 TUBES.

Recent Posts