Building a 1000L Tank

Reaction score
Howzit guys, been a few years since I been on the forum. Getting married in 3 weeks, and the SO and I decided we want a HUGE tank. So a lot of planning of where it would go and what it should look like, we have finally decided on a tank, and I need to build this now to keep her happy, and me happy in the long run. But I need your help, as I'm no expert when it comes to working out the glass thickness. :m85:

tank-new.png

So there is the image of the tank with dimensions. That is just a ruff sketch, I have used 12mm Glass on sides and 20mm on the bases?

I dont mind putting braces on the top. I saw that the tanks they sell which is 1500 x 600 x 600 is 10mm glass with braces with double bottom.

Then the next problem is the overflow, I want something quiet, was thinking ocean to ocean overflow?

Sump will be a nice DSB, my sump will be 1200 x 450 x 450, would this be sufficient?

Tank will contain soft corals, livestock and maybe one hard coral. so lightning from LED would be sufficient just need to work out the lumens needed to reach bottom of 800mm and 1400mm (maybe a spot LED light for that deep)

ALL my equipment will run from 12V, Solar panels, inverter if I really have to, but sofar I have found all equipment will be able to run from 12v. I dont want to use utility for the simple reason of our eskom systems with unknown power cuts.

This project is a big one and might take a long time to build, but will be worth it.

If anyone can help shed some light or advice on my project, please do.

I'd go wider then 600 if I were you, that width is a little limiting for aquascaping, at least 800 imo

at a safety factor of 2.5 you are looking at 19mm glass, at least for that height

Thanks Zippy, then I will go 800mm wide, I have the room to play, so lets do it anyway. lol.

Damn going to be huge.. 1568L display...

The frame will be build from 76 x76 x 2mm square tubing, atleast im a structural draughtsman, so I know that would be safe

total weight of just the glass from 20mm, thats without braces or anything else. 393.327kg.

Gonna be HEAVY

tank-r1.png

So made a few adjustments. a bit bigger and beter from 20mm Glass on sides, now just need to figure out the overflow, if I use ocean to ocean I have another idea to reinforce the bottom

The sides, with the "L" shape, will that be one piece of glass? or 2 with a vertical joint?

The pressure differences between the deep side and shallower side on that panel would differ at different points. I would rather go with 2 panels. Idol Marine drop off tank got a big glass panel all the way at the sides, no notch cut out.

The sides, with the "L" shape, will that be one piece of glass? or 2 with a vertical joint?

The pressure differences between the deep side and shallower side on that panel would differ at different points. I would rather go with 2 panels. Idol Marine drop off tank got a big glass panel all the way at the sides, no notch cut out.

That is one piece glass, I thought it would be much stronger than 2 panels with a seam?
I'm not sure how to even do 2 panels. I can have the glass lasercut to precision, what if I change the depth to 600? and the width to 600? I know it will be smaller, but think it would be easier and safer?

800 should be fine, it's the depth at 1400 that is the concern regarding the glass thickness, if it's braced correctly there shouldn't be serious issues, if you have the cash for 20mm glass go for it, you'll be happier with the 800mm width.

800 should be fine, it's the depth at 1400 that is the concern regarding the glass thickness, if it's braced correctly there shouldn't be serious issues, if you have the cash for 20mm glass go for it, you'll be happier with the 800mm width.

Is there any contacts on here that can help me with quotes on glass? I usually use Rene Turck in Jet park, they can lasercut the glass, wonder how much the glass will cost me, I first want to make the manufacturing drawings and send out for a quote... but will like a estimate... LOL... guess its going to cost quite a bit tho...:m85:

will try them as well, wont hurt getting loads of quotes on the glass, the steel frame is no issue, I do a lot of steel work from home.

Rene Turck cut about all the 10mm and thicker glass in Gauteng. Idol Marine and Dorry Pets get from them.

we are going to dory pets on saturday to get some more inspiration. I need advice on lightning aswel..

what are your plans coral wise at the deep end?

what are your plans coral wise at the deep end?

Mushrooms, Zooanthids, etc. I will start with Bio rock and add corals to it as it mature, obviously after a very long period of time. I have a picture in my head of how I want to do it, but I cant lay out out. lol.

on the top I will go for medium to moderate lighting corals, cause its also deep, I want one anemone, im sure it will find a nice place in the top part of the tank.

the other thing is wave makers, I will try to hide them as much as possible, last time my anemone got stuck in one of them

Back
Top Bottom