BugMan's 21L Invert an Zoanthids Tank

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by BugMan, 30 Apr 2012.

1. BugMan

BugMan

Hello...

After lots and Lots and LOTS OF RESEARCH AND EVEN MORE PLANNING AND THINKING I have decided to do a 21L invert and Zoanthids tank...

I decided to do a Invert and Zoanthids tank as it is my first marine tank I the Bioload that a singe fish, no matter the size, will add to the tank is just a bit risky... The Bioload that the inverts and corals have is a lot less from what I learned from research and from talking to very knowledgeable people...

And i have chose inverts as they are the COOLEST EVER!!! (sorry i'm an entomolog student) and The Zoanthids as everybody tells me that they are the best and easiest corals to start with... (And they are SOOOO PRETTY!!! :biggrin:)

It turns out to be 21L as i decided to use a standard 1.5 foot (30L) tank and to build in a sump... Thus the sump will be 7L of the tank...

I've built that part of the tank and it is looking really good. I bought a bag of crushed coral from Pet Stop and some water.

It is a sump that will have light and also a small refugium. The return pump I'm using is a 400L per hour pump and i did research on that and it will give me enough flow in the tank for the corals. Thus a power head will not be needed in the display area of my tank.

The lights will be 3 LED strips. Two white strips of 10 000K and one blue strip of 12 000K. (These will also go over the sump)

I decided that to add the live rock i will add no more than 500g at one time to ensure that my water parameters stay more constant. All of my water i will be buying from Pet Stop since they are not to far. I will be doing a 30% water change on a weekly basis (I'm still trying to figure out whether a once weekly 30% water change or a twice weekly 15% water change will be best). I will top up with RO water as it is needed.

I just need to figure out how much live rock to put in still... As that is the only part that I'm not completely sure of...

Opinions?:blush:

Last edited: 30 Apr 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

I'd suggest about 2kg of live rock and also suggest adding it all at once now, rather than piece by piece. Adding it piece by piece would just extend the cycling period especially in such a small volume of water.

Good luck. Maintaining such a small volume of water is a lot of work.

4. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

Thank you @Albert Terego

I know what maintenance I will be needed to do. And I will always have at least 10L backup water in the house for an emergency water change.

I will then be adding some more live rock today YAYNESS!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Mewik

Mewik

Try to get a cup of dsb sand from ur lfs or a reefer nearby and mix it into your substrate, it should speed up the cycle quite a bit. Adding some special blend/ prodibio would also help to ensure that the right bacterias take hold of the tank from the start.

Post some pics when you can. Everyone here needs pics to accept that a tank really exists ;)

mandarinman likes this.
  6. Mc

Mc

Hi bugman nice idea you have.
    I just started something similar, also using a 400lph return pump and no powerhead.
    The zoas should be ok in this tank although I have found they like quite a lot of light.
    What led strips are you using?
    What inverts are you planning on keeping?

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

only problem is finding zoa that is not on a big rock. Any rock will be big in your tank.

But in the for sale forum, you could be lucky with frags. Mount that on your rock stack.

8. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

I've decided to run tubes in stead... since they cost HALF of LED's... The strips of LED i find is either to short or to long since i want the light to cover the sump as well...
    @RiaanP i saw that problem... But i will be keeping an eye out for frags....

9. Mc

Mc

How the tank coming on?

10. Wes

Wes

LED strip lights could work, you can cut them to your required tank length.

11. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

Well, I've built in the sump and added some live rock about a week and a half ago, and i got lucky with the live rock, since 2 of the pieces have very very very small zoa's on them the one rock has 3 little heads on it. And there is a piece of something (think it is a coral) that is growing in the sump... Have no idea what it really is... And there is also a hermit crab that hid in the live rock. i think it is the dwarf yellotip (not sure though...)

Everything thus far is running nicely.

I will wait one more week before testing everything... There is no rush in adding corals or inverts... Slow and steady wins the race...

Will post a photo of the growing thingy (which could be a coral) over the weekend...

12. Mc

Mc

Thats good will keep an eye out for those pics.
    Patience is the best way.
    Its amazing how much life you can find on LR.

13. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

The growth on my LR in my sump looks something like this but it is very small... and there is 2 pieces of it on one rock...

Here is a pic of the pieces in my tank... Difficult to reach them though...

Last edited: 16 May 2012
  14. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Red arrow... points to a small aptasia.. :-(

Yellow arrows: Points to the strange thingy....

Last edited: 16 May 2012
  15. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

A bigger photo...

[​IMG]

16. Mc

Mc

Do they move around?

17. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

I only spotted them this morning when i actually looked into the sump, but they haven't moved since about 8 o'clock this morning...

18. Mc

Mc

I was thinking some kind of flatworm, but if they are not moving it may just be a sponge.

19. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

I will keep an eye on it over the next few weeks... Thank you @Mc

O and as soon as i see my sea star i will take a photo of him... He is about 1cm in diameter... And really cool...

20. poiromaniax

poiromaniax MASA Contributor

That looks like sponge to me

21. BugMan

BugMan Thread Starter

So... Tested everything today and all the params are looking good, so i added 2 small zoas frags... They are look REALLY COOL!!!

And while at DORY i saw the COOLEST little fish EVER!!! Unfortunately it would not survive in my tank... The COOLEST little fish are the Blue line pipefish... 0.0 SOOOOO PRETTY!!!! As for inverts i am still undecided over what to get, since my hermit crab keeps on knocking everything over... But i am looking into pom-pom crabs, porcelain crabs and sexy shrimp...

O and for the strange thingies in my tank i still have no idea what they really are, but i'm starting to think that it is just a cool sponge since it never moves around...

And i will keep on looking for my seastar and take photos of him when i see him... He likes to play hide and seek...

Last edited: 21 May 2012
Recent Posts