Bubbles on Live Rock

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
I have Midas that is depositing sand on some of my LR. Where the sand is there are bubbles forming. Is this a problem ?

Should I clear the sand off the LR aka turkey baster/blaster ?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I dont think the bubbles are forming from the sand, might be C02 bubbles being formed

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
From the live rock, remind me again how old is your tank, sorry just being lazy.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Changed/upgraded lights recently?

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Changed/upgraded lights recently?
No light changes but have add 4 pieces of LR (no bubbles). Could it be sunlight ? The rock is on the Sun side of my tank, but no other rocks have the bubbles ? But they also don't have sand on them ?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mhh ok any chance of pics??

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Here you go
PS: maybe you could change the thread name, as it seems like it has nothing to do with midas.

Sorry for quality of pic, camera doesn't know what bubble to focus on ?

528479399d91ab30.jpg

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Nitrogen gas escaping from the deep realms of the ever unknown dangers that lurk within the deep and dark crevices of bacteria infested live rock combined with the sophisticated anecdotal surges of fish poo.

Ok, I have no idea what I'm talking about :p

DragonReef

Yellow Tang
Reaction score
Actually you wouldn't be far wrong :D

It's harmless nitrogen gas Warr, nothing to worry about.

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
Must have to do with the LR's bacteria converting Nitrites and Nitrates to nitrogen

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Must have to do with the LR's bacteria converting Nitrites and Nitrates to nitrogen
Thats the one, however there is another possibility too

Very often in a new cycle its actually Algae photosynthesizing hence releasing C02, happens sometimes when you upgrade lighting too.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Here you go
PS: maybe you could change the thread name, as it seems like it has nothing to do with midas.
Your wish is my command young Warr

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Thalion / Warr -

This is definitely correct - I have see these bubble escape from my in-tank DSB as well as from my life rock. The most possible reason why you only see it on certain pieces of live rock, is that the other pieces are either TOO dense, or TOO porious (allowing too much oxygenated water flow through. This breakdown of nitrates to nitrogen and oxygen is done by the an-aerobic bacteria that lives in the areas of the live rock where there is indeed (very slow) water flow through, as well as in the areas in the DSB where there is no more oxygen (ie. the aerobic bacteria has already depleted the water from oxygen, and now only water with nitrates (and no oxygen) is left - and this is what the an-aerobic bacteria feeds on....

Clownfish9906

Chromis
Reaction score
hi guys

Sorry for restarting an old thread - but better than a new one I guessed...

I have bubbles in my DT. No, they are not coming from the return feed - that problem has been sorted when the skimmer impeller was sorted - no microbubbles... I switched off the powerhead as I could see small microbubbles in the tank just to find bubbles exiting the sand/rock...its these bubbles that are getting smashed to bits in the powerhead.

The bubbles seem to be coming from the aragonite and liverock. I have some algae growth...looks like GHA :( I also have pieces of mature liverock which have some purple algae with bubbles aswell.

I have tested nitrates this morning, currently sitting at 1ppm. 2 days ago was sitting at 2.5ppm and a week ago was at 3.5ppm. I have cleaned the diatoms and green algae that formed - skimmer pulled that green muck out. The growth of algae on the tank seems to have slowed down and guess the first stage was a proper algae bloom. I am dosing with special blend aswell - 15ml a week.

What do you guys suspect is the issue.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
What do you guys suspect is the issue.
No issues or problems I'm sure, if you read the responses in this thread then you'll find your answers. If it doesn't sound like the same thing is happening in your tank then post a couple of pics and we can work it out from there.

Last edited:

dallasg

Reaction score
it could be air escaping the rock etc with the change of temp, it could be nitrogen as waste from the anerobic bacteria