Bubble tip anemone disease

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by robvdv, 11 Jul 2011.

1. robvdv

robvdv

I've observed an interesting and nasty disease in a few of my RBTAs. Some are wild collected, some are captive bred clones. It starts off like this:

[​IMG]

This anemone was previously vibrantly coloured. The tentacles were long and active. Here you can see they're stubby and withdraw. Some have brown tips. Sometimes mesenteries poke out of the holes in the tips.

Then it ends up like this:
    [​IMG]

None has actually died yet. They basically just lose their tentacles. I have three in this state. They're all pretty miserable. They're also all in close proximity to each other (yes, I know, keep clones separate) but the others seem fine.

Any suggestions? Anybody seen anything like this before?

The mesentaries out of the tips of the tentacles and the brown rings around the holes at the end the tentacles are interesting symptoms.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AndrévN

AndrévN

In the first pic it actually looks as if the tips are burnt or scorched(dont know if the inglish spelling is very delicious here, but im a afrikaner mahaha) so if they are not moving and touching the glass of a hot heater then it might be chemical warfare burns. Dont know if im correct but thats what the first pic tells me. Never seen the end result before, but ive seen nemmies that was looking like this and it was claimed to have touched the heater.

4. Anemone

Anemone

First Pic: You actually have a starving anemone. You also a lot of Cyanobacteria. My guess is that you have poor water parameters. I’ll need a complete list of water parameters.

Second Pic: It looks like you’ve contained the anemone in something where it’s not getting any flow. It’s turning itself inside out, with possible visible decaying food matter.

I’m going to need more details, water parameters, age of tank, equipment list, tank mates, feeding routine, size of food portions, what you’re feeding, how long you’ve had the anemone, where did it come from, a full tank shot would also be helpful.

I’ll need this information quickly. This anemone is knocking on death’s door.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

In the 2nd pic, are those leather frags? In all my reading it has been highly recommended not to keep any soft coral in the anemone propagation system, pin cushions in particular, unless you're running huge amounts of carbon, with those leather frags releasing slime it could maybe cause issues?

6. Anemone

Anemone

If this is an anemone propagation system, you are likely correct Dean! Good call!

7. viper357

8. SIMS

SIMS

those look like coral chips to me...

Brenda you mention low flow - all my btas are housed in baskets and flow is quite slow in there and they all seem rather happy??

9. Anemone

Anemone

Now how does one on the other side of the world know about Walmart? God I hate that place!

10. Anemone

Anemone

They may be. The tentacles should be swaying a bit.

11. KeeganP

KeeganP

:whistling: They bought shares in our local market...

12. viper357

lol, soon to be hated in SA too, they just bought half of the country's supermarkets for something like 16 billion.

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I Have had the same issue as Rob and what ever it is i dont think it is related to feeding or flow.

14. Anemone

Anemone

Oh Geeze! Walmart used to be a great place! This was of course back in the 80's and early 90's when the owner Sam Walton was still alive. I met him once, great guy. He believed in helping the average every day person, then he died and left his billions to his children.

My mother still works for Walmart, she's got 21+ years in there. They are horrible to their employees. They are over worked, underpaid, and health insurance is horrible.

My mother has been injured 3 times on the job. All three times it was their fault. Once she broke the bone in her face under her eye, the last time she broke her pelvis. They let her go get medical attention when she broke the bone in her face. When she broke her pelvis they gave her a chair to sit down in, but when customers came up to the counter she had to get up and help them. They eventually told her she could go to one of their doctors, who of course said nothing was broken. A few days later I took her to another doctor who finally said her pelvis was broken.

Now my mother is on medical restrictions where she is not supposed to climb ladders at work. So when I'm in the store, what do I see? My mother on a ladder because they won't send anyone else to help her. If the job doesn't get done she gets in trouble. In this country you can't even consider getting a lawyer to fight it. People have tried, they always win!

15. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

No, these anemones are very well fed. Two weeks ago he was huge. The largest one I had.

It's not as bad as it looks. The pic is taken at midday under natural sunlight. The NSL is a substantial algal accelerant. The oxygen bubbles are produced by cyano, dinoflaggelates and regular chlorophyta.

Water parameters are:
    Ca: 500ppm (overdosing calcium hydroxide)
    Alk: 9 dKh
    Mg: 1440
    NO3: about 3ppm
    PO4: about 0.06ppm

It's directly under 2 x 40mm airlifts, so there's substantial gentle flow just overhead. It's not decaying food matter, it's Sarcophyton fragments. I moved it there to get it out of the tub with the other anemones. It's now in its own basket with its own airlift (no other frags)

It's in a mature greenhouse system getting fed pretty much daily on a mix of shrimp, mussel, fish etc.

It's looking fine this morning, with the exception of the clubbed tentacles and some mesentaries popping out the tips.

What I was hoping for in terms of advice was pointers to academic articles or forum posts indicating that this is the kind of physical response expected when anemones mount chemical attacks on each other. Alternatively I was hoping for something like an "elegance coral syndrome" type of article for a BTA disease.

For now I'm going to assume that it's a chemical competition. There are several other very healthy anemones in the same system. Only three exhibit this kind of disease.

Yeah, it was a bit of a knee-jerk response. The anemone's in its own basket now.

Very interesting, Alan. Any ideas?

I first observed this in a captive propagated clone on his own in a tub. I had placed it in a basket with non-matured media. The media was quickly colonized by dinoflaggelates. The anemone then started to extrude mesentaries which looked like they were "mopping up" over his body. I guessed this might be a response to the dinos (they're toxic) so I moved him back to the communal tub. Two others then started exhibiting similar symptoms. That's the backstory.

Anyway, I'll separate them all over the next couple of days. Will be interesting to see if they all start doing better.

16. Alan

Unfortunately none Rob i have lost many Anemone's to this, have found it to affect captive raised specimens and wild caught and appears to be contagious. Mine also had the mesentaries come out all over the foot at first. I will be following this with interest, good luck and please keep us updated.

17. zayd

zayd

Walmart just took a majority stake in a SA company (Massmart).

I won't get into the debate about whether it is good or bad but just venture my opinion that it will be good for consumers and Walmart/MAssmart but bad for SA overall. Already seeing another retailer laying off staff due to the competition expected from Walmart.

18. robvdv

robvdv Thread Starter

I hear stories about "all my anemones were fine for years then I introduced a new one and they all died". That sounds like disease to me.

Anyway, I'm going to separate mine out. Whether it's disease or chemical competition it's the right thing to do.

19. SIMS

SIMS

hmmm...scary. Alan when you say many how many is many?

20. Alan

20 - 30 odd.

21. SIMS

SIMS

and was it all at once? I must maybe separate mine out a little.

Recent Posts