bubble coral

Discussion in 'New Members' started by albert, 30 Oct 2012.

1. albert

albert

Are pink bubble coral easy to have or not? I'm thinking of getting me some, thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Hi albert, they are relatively hardy corals. They are truly stunning corals, but require a low flow area in your tank & medium-high lighting to be successfully kept.
    You might want to let your tank mature a bit more before adding a bubble coral as they can sometimes be sensitive to fluctuating parameters but if your confident that your tank is stable, you can add it.

If you do get one, just keep in mind that they are quite aggressive & need some space between itself & other corals.

4. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I think their hardiness is greatly exaggerated (except perhaps the branched species). I know very few people who have kept them for more than a year. They seem to "hang in there" for a long time, which gives the impression of hardiness, but they slowly decline. Damage to the septa seems to be fatal more often than not.

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Thats true, when they are damaged anywhere on their bubbles, they never seem to recover from it but i have found bubble coral to be relatively hardy even in my first tank which was far from perfect, they just need enough light & low flow, as i have found that their bubbles can tear if it gets strong direct flow.
    @albert, i just read in your other thread that you have a Jebo R338. If so, i would discourage you from getting any LPS (long polyp stony) corals until you have a bit better filtration & some more lighting.
    Can you perhaps describe your tank for us quickly?

You might be able to keep some of the mushroom corals & perhaps some zoanthids depending on lighting.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. ianP

ianP

Mine is doing excellent for over a year now.my phosphates are no where near zero and my clowns host my bubble coral

7. albert

albert Thread Starter

How big to the pink bubble get?

8. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

They can grow quite big in the ocean, but in SA (aquariums) ive never seen one larger than 15cm across.
    It is always better to get a small to medium sized specimen, place it where you want it (& where it is happy) & let it grow into your tank.

A word of warning with most LPS corals... They can extend their sweeper tentacles way past their polyps & sting other corals up to +-10cm away in some cases.

Recent Posts