Urgent help needed BTA Split

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Timone, 24 Jan 2012.

1. Timone

Timone

Hi,
    My friend needs urgent advice.
    His BTA split last night and they moving around the tank but when he got home today he found his tank went milky in colour.
    We can't see how the nennies are doing as the tank is to milky. Fish seem to fine for now.
    We did notice a amonia and nitrite spike in the water.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

do a waterchange

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

do a waterchange of at least 20%

5. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Sounds like an anemone introduced itself to a powerhead.

Do a largish water change and then run carbon to remove any toxins.

6. Timone

Timone Thread Starter

Will advice him thanks.

7. crispin

crispin

It does sound like the nennie (or one part of the split) may have been sucked into a power head, and cut into many small pieces which will cause the tank to go milky and with such a massive bioload decomposing in the water at once has the danger of killing everything in that tank. Your friend really needs to pay close attention now and act fast as things will go South quickly, if indeed they havent already.

Water changes (plural) of fairly large percentages 20% or more are needed to dillute the amount of pollution in the system. the bacteria will not be able to process it through its normal cycles. Make sure the RO unit is on constantly ( two or three big black drums being filled will be useful) so that there is a steady supply of RO to mix new water with.

Run carbon in a fluid reactor if you can, else at least in a stocking in a high flow area of the sump and change it weekly.

Increase the Oxygen levels as much as you can in the water. An Airstone in the sump from a normal fresh water air pump will help some but rather aim the powerheads in the tank up towards the surface to increase gaseous exchange.

Find both nennies, see what the state of play is with them. You need to know what you are dealing with and fast.

Monitor all fish carefully, note rapid breathing, fish lying on the bottom, dissorientation etc as they are strong indications of decreased oxygen and of ammonia spikes.

Lastly i would dose with Stability as per instructions on the bottle.

It cant be stressed hard enough, this tank sounds to me like its heading for a total wipe out, he needs to get onto it as fast as possible and get the water clear enough that you can see whats going on inside.

Is there a possibility pof housing fish and corals else where in the mean time? where is he situated?

viper357 likes this.
  8. Helga

Helga

Or while splitting the Nennie could have spawned. My bubble tip has spawned twice. It spews out massive amounts of milky substance into the water. The tank is milky for a couple of hours. I also experience a very small nitrite spike. Did immediate waterchanges... 2 a day for 3 days and no problems.

9. Donovan

Donovan

ok both nennies are fine
    was no ammonia spike
    only nitrite
    will be doing water change asap tonight

10. Donovan

Donovan

and run some more carbon

11. Timone

Timone Thread Starter

Thanks guys, Donovan's tank has clear not 100% but getting there. Both Nennies ate tonight. He will be doing a water change later.
    No nennie went into the powers heads as previous post that they were both fine. It looks like it was just nennies releasing spawn matter after I did my own invstigation on the matter. So thanks to Helga as well.

12. crispin

crispin

are you saying that the nennie went through both sexual and asexual reproduction at the same time. Ie split itself in two and spawned into the aquarium together?

glad to hear you can see into the tank and that things are clearing up. Any idea why the nennie split? it can often be due to a negative reduction in its living conditions?

13. Helga

Helga

Pleasure Timone, Glad all seems ok!
    splitting and spawning 'could' both be signs of stress or a happy nennie. My Bubbletip was in my tank for a year and never moved an inch. eating regularly and then to my surprise spawned twice in one day. No ill effects. I did cut back on the size of his food for a week or 2 after he spawned, just to give him time to recover and to make sure he does not regurgetate the food after feeding.
    Your friend should just keep an eye on them to make sure they dont wander and end up in the powerheads. More than one nennie in a tank could also stress them out and result in chemical warfare. Keep them as far apart as possible.

A stable tank means a happy nennie!

14. crispin

crispin

there shouldnt be any problem with chemical warefare between these nennies as they are a split and thus clones of each other. its having multiple different nennies in a tank that can cause problems.

15. Phyrannus

Phyrannus

Wow... now i know why the other morning i also woke up with a cloudy water in my tank. and the day after i saw my green bta became two.:thumbup:

16. Dlaria

Dlaria

Gratz! :thumbup:

17. crispin

crispin

Sorry guys i think we need to be clear about something here. Perhaps there is soem cloudy water and some cloudy thinking.

Spawning is a sexual reproduction system which will release a mass of sperm into the water in a short period of time and could (not gaurenteed) cause the water to go cloudy for a period.

Splitting is an asexual reproduction which will result in two identlicle clones of the SAME nennie and is a SLOW process which takes a number of days ofetn weeks to occure. Splitting nennies do NOT cause the water to go cloudy.

I have never ever read of both spawning and splitting happening from the same nennie at the same time and never heard of a split happening over night.

Helga likes this.
Recent Posts