BTA / Rose BTA advice

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Megalodon, 23 Jan 2010.

1. Megalodon

Megalodon

Hi guys,
    I was wondering if some anemone guru's could give me their input on the following.

I am looking to get a Rose BTA or a GBTA for my 600x600x600 cube - with sump, DSB, ATS, Skimmer etc + lots of live rock.

Tank has been established for approx 4 years. Everything is very healthy and growing well. Back pane is COMPLETELY covered in coraline, as are the rocks etc. I haven't had anything die in the tank for over 2 years (and then it was a few mushrooms due to a dodgy batch of a certain cheap salt brand which I no longer use).

What I was wondering is would a BTA be suitable for my system? I keep mainly multiple colour mushrooms, ricordreas a few LPS such as green galaxea (3 years old), and euphyllia divisia (9 years old+ but very small frags of main colony). Also small green sarcophyton, blue xenia, some zoas, trindacna crocea clam etc.

lighting is 150w BLV 14k halide with supplemental actinics.
    flow is by 1x seio M820, 1x seio M620, 1X mini resun wavemaker (4000LPH), and return pump. Obviously I would anemone proof all pumps with mesh as per Karensroseanemone.com method.

I was wondering, would the RBTA be harmed by my mushrooms if it was to move against them? I would obviously place it in an open area of the tank far from anything, but I know they are known to move while acclimating. Also, would the anemone kill my clam if it was to move toward it? I would obviously place them very far apart but accidents do happen.

Also, given the large amounts of mushrooms etc in my tank, would there be problems for the anemone due to allelopathics in the water? given that I skim, have an ATS and run carbon + regular waterchanges. I would obviously place them far away from each other in any event.

I obviously don't want to rush into getting something I can't keep alive, so I would appreciate your input. I am not in a hurry and would rather be sure before I make a decision. Also, if the consensus is that it is a feasible proposition, where would I find a decent RBTA/ GBTA specimen? at a reasonable price? thanks guys.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

From your description, yes - I'm sure it would do just fine :thumbup:

I doubt it. There is rather a chance that the anemone would harm your corals, if not physically, then by just shading them.

If by "open area" you mean far away from the other inhabitants, then yes, that's good. They do like to have the security of being able to retract amongst the rocks, and they do need a suitable anchoring spot (largish rock), so just make sure that you place it amongst some rocks, and not on the open sand.

I don't have any experience with clams, but would suspect that it could harm the clam, again, as stated previously, if not directly, then indirectly be shading or irritating it. fortunately, you should be able to move your clam quite easily.

Why can't more reefers have this attitude, instead of dumping an anemone into a newly set up tank ...

I'm sure that with your setup, and caring attitude, your anemone will do fine. 'Shrooms are pretty indestructible, and I doubt if you will have serious problems with your setup - perhaps just increase the amount and frequency of GAC (carbon) filtration for the first month or so after introduction of the anemone (if for no other reason than to give you peace of mind...)

Hennie

4. crispin

crispin

great to hear of a reefer planning something like a nennie so well :)

5. Megalodon

Megalodon Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated. I love the symbiotic relationship between anemones and clowns, and have always loved the looks of an anemone, but shied away due to having in-tank powerheads (thought it would be impossible)...until I saw the method used in Karen's Rose Anemone to nennie-proof pumps.

I was actually planning on eventually setting up a dedicated nennie tank with no in-tank powerheads etc etc until I came across this info. That would have meant a great deal of expense (recently graduated student, not going to happen easily), a year for the tank to mature, and having to disturb/ get rid of my stable mature system of 4 years which I really wouldn't like to do. So the thought of being able to keep an anemone in this system obviously makes me very :thumbup::)

I just have another question. I have a short spined urchin in my tank - eats his coraline and bothers no-one. However, I read that urchins can possibly puncture anemones with their spines? Is this something to worry about? should I find another home for the urchin prior to getting the RBTA/ BTA? I really like the guy, but I prefer anemones, and would rather not take a chance if it is a likely problem.

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

He should be OK - I would be more worried if it was one of the long-spine Diadema urchins...

That would depend on where you live...

Perhaps there is a new reefer living close by with an anemone that he/she should never have bought - in this case, you could save the nennie at a reasonable cost (if not for free...).

Hennie

Recent Posts