BTA Growth rate?

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by scubaninja, 11 Mar 2010.

1. scubaninja

scubaninja

Hi brenda

I'm trying to find out how fast bubbletips grow? Do you have any idea of a growth rate? If we were to assume excellent water conditions and regular feeding with decent lighting? I've seen some guys with HUGE BTAs, and i really want mine to be a show piece so he must grow as big as he will allow :)

for reference here is a pic :)
    [​IMG]
    Maybe i will post pictures of the nennie from the same angle after say a month, two months etc for interest sake while i'm at it :) On a non-related question, is there sub species of GBTAs? For example mine has purple tips on the green, is there a specific group for it or is it just a colour variation? Any for interests sake again, have you seen other variations of GBTA?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

That "nennie" in the foreground, and those to the left and right of the BTA will likely grow (and multiply) MUCH quicker than the BTA :whistling: :whistling:

Hennie

4. Mouse

Mouse

:lol:

5. Anemone

Anemone

:eek: How did I miss those!!!!!! They need to go!

It is not uncommon for BTAs that are 5-6 inchs to reach 9-12 inches in about a year.

You have to be careful with overfeedings. Overfeeding can induce a BTA to split. So feed small pieces often. Do you feed your reef tank heavily?

Also keep in mind that if the BTA feels that it is getting to big for the space it has chosen to call home, it may split.

To my knowledge there are no sub species of the E. quadricolor, there are only colored variations. I say "to my knowledge" because there was a recent post here (and all over the reefing community) by a member that posted a letter that he/she claimed to have received from Dr. Daphne Fautin. In this letter it stated that Dr. Fautin believed there "may" be different species of the E. quadricolor. So.....To my knowledge there are no sub species. Someday we may find out differently, but I'm not holding my breath.

It is not uncommon for them to have purple tips. I've seen many different variations of GBTAs and RBTAs. I've even kept a few.

I would love to see updated pics to this anemone.

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Every month you need to count how many tentacles it has. :whistling:

7. scubaninja

scubaninja Thread Starter

thanks hennie had no idea aiptasia multiplied:whistling:

answerz in red, will update photos when i can
    thanks dean, pity that'll be hard for me cause its hard to count past log base ten :whistling:

8. scubaninja

I saw something new last night to do with the nennie, i have hermits in my tank, about 8. Last one decided to try something on my nennie, it walked up to the nennie and touched it with the flat part of the claw. So the nennie retracted a little bit and so the hremit walked closer and did it again, about 3 times, not really knowing what this is about besides a 'game' i grabbed the hermit and put it the other side of the tank after it tried to go underneath the nennie. Should i be worried about this stupid hermit? or will the maroon clown i will be getting this afternoon(that has been known to host) protect the nennie from this kind of thing?

9. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

If i may ask, is a splitting nemmie a bad thing?

10. scubaninja

IMO, before Brenda answers, is that its a yes and no. In what i've researched its a survival mechanism brought on by stress, or other things. It would be nice cause at the start of the day you would have one, but at the end of the day two, so that would be cool, its like a substitute for propagating the nennie. But since it is doing it itself we have no control and it means the water quality might take a hit, and the second, or both would go walkies into something and sting/get stung and problems. So a mixed blessing IMO

11. dallasg

Thanx ninja! Well I suppose having a nennie requires loads of GAC
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. scubaninja

NP. Maybe brenda can also reply to your Q when she can to give you a proper answer :) GAC though? whats that man?

13. dallasg

Granular activated carbon

14. Anemone

Anemone

Scubaninja,
    I’ve seen several different shades of the rose BTA, some are even orange looking. There are also different shades of the green. Some are even both a rose color and green. Liveaquaria’s diver’s den often has some really cool looking colors available here in the US. See here: http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/CatDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4

Yes, I would be worried about the hermit crab. It can tear the anemone’s mouth digging for food.

A splitting anemone can be a bad thing. It means something has stressed the anemone. It could be minor such as feeding too large of portion of food, a large water change. Or it could be something more serious such as an injury. Many people have purposely done a large water change or overfed to try to force the anemone to split. There is a possibility that the anemone will not survive the split. However, when starting out with a healthy anemone, good water quality, and good lighting, and allowing the anemone to heal properly, this doesn’t happen. If you have an anemone that splits often, there is definitely something that needs to be fixed.

I rarely run carbon in my tanks with anemones.

15. scubaninja

shot bud, actually i dont notice a difference in needing extra carbon? My skimmate hasnt picked up as it would with adding SPS, so i dunno, but as Brenda says she often doesnt run it, maybe they dont put out as much? Or is it that there isnt much warfare at the moment?
    wow orange BTAs? lol
    Brenda, the one pic from the site, this one:
    [​IMG]
    has the same purple part on the very tip as mine, mine is more bulbous though than long like that, do you think in time with mine regaining lost zooanthellae it might possibly move into this colour? Because this has to be the mose beautiful BTA i've ever seen!!! I've noticed my nennie changes its tentacles more into balls at sometimes and more into long tentacles, there a reason for this? My maroon clown has now hosted in the nennie and seems very protective of it, surely it should now stop any kind of inmate trying to interfere?

16. Anemone

Anemone

The purple tips are not uncommon in BTAs. Your BTA doesn’t look like it has lost zooxanthellae. So I doubt you will see much (if any) color change.

Why the bubbled tips? There is likely a reason for it, unfortunately nobody knows for sure what it is. It is my opinion that it is a combination of things such as lighting, water parameters, flow, etc. What we do know is that it is not health related.

Unless you have some fish that are not reef safe, I don’t see any of your livestock interfering with the anemone or maroon.

The anemones from live aquaria are beautiful! They get some really incredible looking anemones in stock! One of these days I’m going to take a road trip and visit their facility!

On the subject of carbon….If you have a lot of coral that have been known for chemical warfare, it is a good idea to use it. If you have something go wrong, it is a good idea to use it. For years I have relied on regular water changes, skimmer, and cleanup crew, and have yet to have a problem. In fact, I like to keep things simple. I rarely even test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, or phosphates. Once a reef tank is established, and the hobbyist has become familiar with their tank and livestock, they can usually figure out a water change schedule that suits the tank, keeping everyone happy. I do not recommend this to anyone who has been in the hobby for less than a year or someone who has just added a bunch of new livestock.

17. scubaninja

You dont think its lost any zooanthellae? To me, when its just the actinics on and i can see the colours pick up more i notice that there are some parts if the nennie that are much greener than others, some tentacles are much greener too. Doesnt that mean that it may have lost some or is that just something that happens?

I have been meaning to ask you, i keep forgetting everytime i reply something, but i have a friend with a RBTA, and he feeds it everyday, the usual size, not smaller portions to make up for more regular feedings, he's had it for months, and its really really healthy. I've had a chat with him about it possibly stressing the nennie and he think its fine. How long do you think it will go for until the effects of this heavy feeding will show? either by splitting or other ways? It is quite large as well, so it seems to me that it would be a 'prime' time to split and go walkies creating chaos?

18. Anemone

Anemone

No, the anemone looks very healthy. This shade of green is not uncommon for BTAs. You may see some increase in color, but I wouldn’t expect much, if any.

Where are you seeing the darker areas? Is this on the thinner parts of the tentacles? I’m not seeing any tentacles that are much greener than others. They all look the same to me. Is the anemone losing some of its bubbled tips? This will make the tentacles seem a bit darker. Think of it as a balloon. Before the balloon is blown up, it has a deeper color. Once it has expanded, it is a lighter shade of that color.

This does not necessarily mean it has lost zooxanthellae. But it is not uncommon for the thinner parts to be darker.

If this is a large anemone, this anemone may be fine. It may be able to take a larger portion, more often. It may also be regurgitating some of it hours later when everyone is asleep. Since the anemone is large and healthy, it appears that what your friend is feeding is fine for this anemone.

Possibly never.

Only the anemone will know when it is feeling overly crowded in its environment.

How large is this anemone. BTAs have been known to reach 18 inches (46 cm) or more in captivity. However, most tanks don’t allow for this, so the anemone splits.

If you have an 18” (46 cm) BTA, you can’t expect it to eat the same amount of food as a 5” (13 cm) BTA.

19. scubaninja

the nennie has super long tentacles in comparison to mine, and he has its base inside a big (60mm or bigger?) pipe so it doesnt walk around. If i had to guess its width while inflated it would be 15cms? So not as big as you suggest, but i do get that the difference in size would affect feeding, only he's been giving it that amount since it was little...

20. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Some great info in this thread

PS is that you pile driving that shark scuba ? :p

21. Anemone

Anemone

Is this anemone hosting a clownfish? If so, how long?

Recent Posts