BTA and flow

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by Dawie22, 13 Apr 2011.

1. Dawie22

Dawie22

Howsit guys,
    What is your experience with BTA and flow created by power heads? Do they behave well to direct flow? I recently added a 6000 LPH power head. It is not blowing directly towards the nennie but there is alot mor turbulence in the tank. My nennie is not opening as much as it was in the past and the other spawned? could this be due to the extra flow?

Dawie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Dawie,
    it could be possibly, and it will adjust to the new conditions, if they havent moved then i would say that they are just sulking and will open up once they have adjusted.

Also is this new pump nemmie safe? now that there is a definite possiblity of them moving i would hate to hear that they got chopped up.

if in a day or 2 they havent opened up again, try moving the flow and making it less direct.
    keep us updated

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Quite possibly, may also be due to various other things, BTA's have been known to split when they are under stress (not happy with their environment). We would need to know a lot more about your tank, like age of system, lighting, parameters etc. to be able to help you more.

5. Dawie22

Dawie22 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response guys.
    the system is a standard 4 foot and about 1.5 years old. Lighting is 4 39w t5's. Reeftek TS2. I tests for salinity (sg = 1.024-1.026), temp (26 - 27 deg C), Ca, Alk, NO3 and PO4. Cant remember exact values for other parameters. I tested on Monday and all were within acceptable ranges. Like I said flow in the tank is via a 6000 LPH and another (unknown rate) power head.

Oh and the power heads are nennie safe Dallas

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

How long have you had the anemone? When did you last replace your T5 tubes?

It's probably nothing to worry about.

How much flow is the anemone getting? Are it's tentacles getting blown about like in a strong wind or are they gently swaying in the flow? I have found my BTA's seem to enjoy various types of conditions, but not very strong direct flow, the occasional strong burst/surge is ok though.

7. Dawie22

Dawie22 Thread Starter

Have had nennies for about 8 months. New T5's bought in Jan. I would say its inbetween a gently sway and strong wind. Im gonna wait a day or two, then move the power heads again.

8. chas84

chas84

Dawie when you say you have had nennies for about 8 months now, how many do you have, were there recent additions? Possibly add some carbon?

I've had a BTA in my tank now for about two weeks, started opening up on the day I got it, it's in a spot towards the one side of the tank where the current is mild to slow. It opens for about half the day, the tentacles gently sway with a little bit of turbulence every now and again. I added a tomato clown the day after I got the nem, I'm somewhat leaning toward the theory that the clownfish maybe helped the nem settle in.

9. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Strong (i.e. high volume "turnover") water flow is natural and good for them, BUT you must avoid FAST water movement (i.e. a direct blast from a power head).

Take a look at this thread of mine, showing my BTA in pretty hectic chaotic water movement, which it just loves. Here is the video of the anemone:

Hennie

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  10. Dawie22

Dawie22 Thread Starter

Chas, I got two about 8 months ago, and the one split on Sunday.
    Hennie, that is hectic flow. Mine is definately less than that

Recent Posts