Bryopsis???

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by cswhitehead, 28 Feb 2011.

1. cswhitehead

cswhitehead

i was given a bunch of rock this weekend but i think it has bryopsis on it. how do i get rid of it? if i put all the rock in a drum and leave it in the dark with a power head for a couple of weeks will all the bryopsis be killed?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

more like a couple of months.
    But it can be done. I did it.

4. gaboon

gaboon

I've had some LR in a container with no lighting for a couple of months and there is still bryopsis on it. It is horrible stuff. You can either try raising the MG level to about 1800 or if you're not in a rush to add to the tank, leave the rock to dry out completely for a week or 2 and then cycle it in a separate container.

Heres my depressing thread on satans lawn Bryopsis is driving me nuts!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

5. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

ok i will do that then
    thanks riaan:thumbup:

6. cswhitehead

cswhitehead Thread Starter

lol gaboon im in no rush to add it because it will be for my next tank. so leave it to dry out you say. will do that then as i have been following your thread on it

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I put my rock with briopsis in a cryptic zone. Basically another sump, used a standard Daro 90L. And had black plastic pieces totally blocking all light out. Used it for a couple of months like that. All photosynthetic life will die-off. But if flow is OK, the rock will still be alive inside with good bacteria. So it can be put into your display without cycling issues. Not 100% correct statement that, some cryptic zone live forms that prefer to dark and slow flow will die back then. Advantage is that the rock will be alive, and will provide additional filtering capabilities.

8. MAXreefer

MAXreefer

I don't know if the "Kent Marine" products are available in SA but they have a product called "Tech M" which is a Magnesium supplement. It works much better as any other Mag supplement we have here to kill Bryopsis. Nobody here really knows why but we think it has something else in it that makes it work better.

I had some Bryopsis in my tank and raised my Mag levels from 1350 to 1550 with it and in a couple days it was all gone. You saw it literally dying off.
    Once it was gone I just let my Mag sit until it gets back to normal levels. No need to keep dosing it when the Brypsis is all gone. No negative effects were noticed on the livestock.

Recent Posts