Bryopsis? The only thing I fear

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by 2balive, 16 Mar 2012.

1. 2balive

2balive

PLs tell me this is not Bryopsis?

It is the feathery bit, at the back, to the right of the coral in front, before the green cat eye.

Someone pls draw a circle for me.

It is on the mystery coral, so can still remove it.

Lost one tank to it, a bit paranoid.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

Looks like a bit of everything including caluerpa!

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

I would up the cuc in my tank. ps i have been increasing my clean up crew to help with all the algae that needs munching

5. magman

magman

I have a theory, some of the local white tip big claw hermits will chow any algea, maybe try and get some of them, they only eat greens, and I am sure those big pincers were created for the toughest greens that grow on rocks;)

6. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

@mandarinman, I 'tolerate' a small amount of algea in the tank, just not any big B, really hope it is feathered caluerpa, but think I am going to remove the rock today, scrub it, peroxide it and see.

@magman, I fear hermits only slightly less than Bryopsis.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. mandarinman

mandarinman

Len i have little patches of different algae in my tank. but i am upping my clean up crew so it can be controlled. i have seen a little crew of lettuce nudis in my tank so i am watching in interest. Have you got any turbo snails? I have underestimated the importance of a good cleanup crew in the past.

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Definately looks like Caulerpa...just not sure which one...:p..guess only the root system would point you in the right direction....
    [​IMG]
    Marine Plants in the Aquarium

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bryopsis in my opinion is very "fluffy"...kind of like GHA just with a "feathery structure"...okay..have to admitt.. you do get more than one type of Bryopsis...but to my knowledge, they are still "soft".."fluffy"...:p
    [​IMG]
    Bryopsis pennata

9. magman

magman

I do know @DudleyD used the kent magnisium, and he said that brand was good

10. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Thanks @belindamotion, yip, agree with you, looks more like caulerpa, it grows from a runner.

Still don't think I want to take a chance, confused the two last time and "lost" my tank.

A bit worried to take me new mystery coral out to clean the rock it is on, but it probable will be OK?

@mandarinman & @magman, I have a few patches of macro algae in my tank that I tolerate, so far I have been able to keep it to specific areas.

I am feeding a lot, also "turned down" my phosphate and nitrate removal chemicals and also dosing iron. Been working in terms of geting my goniopora and other LPS darker, but has given also given my macro algae a second change as well. Nothing major yet, but i am keeping an eye on it.

In terms of CUC, got quite a potent, diverse group in the tank, but they are not big macro algae eaters it seams. What would you recommend (don't want tangs or hermits).

11. mandarinman

mandarinman

i bought tiny tiny hermits from aqua vision. i look for the ones with tiny claws. not predatory. i have three tiger turbo snails. two of which were born in my tank and one ordinary small sized turbo snail. i also have a red starfish. about ten plain green lettuce nudis and three pom pom crabs. i have ten hermits that are so small you haveto spend timelooking forvthem. i also have a pimped blue tuxedo urchin. i am using phosguard and purigen nitrate remover. i am doing approx 15 litres water change weekly. i am feeding flakes twice daily cos my pom pom crabs do the hula hula for food. oh yes i also have a porcelain crab. i will let the lettuce nudis multiply and see where things go. i do fancy the idea of another fish or two tho. ps i have started dosing microbe lift after my waterchange weekly as of today( microbelift therap)

12. DudleyD

DudleyD

If you have the dreaded B the Kent Tech M Magnesium is the only thing that will help. I tried everything and I mean everything ro get rid of Bryopsis and the only thing that worked was Kent Tech M. On the lighter side it does not look like you have a problem unless whatever you have starts spreading - cant make it out so lekker in the picture.

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

what ppm did you dose magnesium to?

14. magman

magman

I think it could look really nice in a butterfly tank!!!!!!

Keanan likes this.
  15. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

That is a scary photo!:eek:

I am a bit paranoid abou the big B, so I decided to take the small piece of rock out while this algea type is still limited to it only. I have scrapped the life rock bit 'into the bone' to ensure no algea is left on it and just for good measure painted it a few times with Hydrogen Peroxcide.

The feathers where anchored inside a dead barnacle shell, same as my previos big B incident, glad I did it now. The coral is a bit grumpy today, but sure it will recover.

Just for interest, I dose with Kent Tech Magnesium, have been managing to keep it at about 1430 ppm, decided to rather be save than sorry.

16. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

@mandarinman, is your "plain green lettuce nudis" the Tridachia crispata/Elysia crispata type?

Have you introduce them or have they emerged in the tank? I have been looking for one or two of these for a while, would love to buy two from you?

Have you had any issues with them around your power heads or overflow?

PS. Tridachia crispata/Elysia crispata are not nudis but "naked snails".

17. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Found an interesting Article from Paul B...some "useless info"...:p
    Aquarium-Related Articles Elysia Crispata
    Just in case you wanted them for Algae...seems to be a "hit-or-miss"..:p

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  18. 2balive

2balive Thread Starter

Tridachia crispata/Elysia crispata

Elysia sp. is a fascinating group.

My main reason is to add it as a "gift" for my wife's birthday. She loves nudi's, but definitely can not keep one of them, just to specialized. This "naked slug" will however be closed enough to get the tick (and few people will know it is not a nudi ;) ).

Elysia are fairly "omnivores" in terms of algae type they accept as food and tank "spawned" ones has a better change of accepting/finding food in a reef tank than wild caught ones. My tank is also now productive enough, with quite a few patches of marco algae that should be able to sustain one or two. They also do not grow to big, perfect for an nano.

I looked a at a sea hair, but it gets to big and I don't think my tank will be able to produce enough food for it on a continues bases.

Main worry is my internal flow pumps. The Tunes Nano's I have seams to be the friendliest of the bunch so should be (I hope) OK.

Any algae that they do eat would be a bonus, my worry is more about making sure their is enough for the to eat. Interesting, some also starts eating cheato and nori.

19. DudleyD

DudleyD

Round about 1700-1800, however have tried this with other magnesium suppliments over the last three years and Kent TechM is the only thing that works:thumbup:

magman likes this.
Recent Posts