Bryopsis - My options?

I bought LR also from somebody shutting down. And he though he had cool green growth all over. :)

Anyway, I kept that rocks in dark tank for 6 weeks, no change, briopsis stayed. I manually pluck them off, and that seems to help prevent new growth because of the dark tank. Then I dumped the rocks for another 2 months in a green JoJo tank. That even did not result in the green parts disappearing. I then decided to use these rocks in my cryptic tank. Today they are white and clean. :thumbup:

Chas, go to moolis at pet stop near you. get yourself the prodibio. It wont cost more than R500-00 depending on how big your system is. You add one vial of Biodigest per 1000 litres and one vial of bioptim per 300 or 400 litres (not too sure) every ten days. Turn your skimmer off for a few hours so it doesnt suck up the bacteria and leave it to do its thing. You will notice a difference after about two weeks as well as a drop in nitrates and clear water

Going to try this. Got some the weekend and started last night. Hold thumbs.........

My Bryopsis seems to be going away. I "trimmed" it last week, in the hope that the urchin, hermits and/or the Scopas might show interest in eating the new growth. Went away for the weekend, and was surprised when I got home yesterday to find most of the "trimmed" bryopsis as well as purple bubble algae gone and the rock nice and clean.

I suspect this:

1.) Tank Inhabitants were more eager to eat the "new shoots" instead of "matured" plant. I've read Bryopsis is bitter to livestock, hence the reason for them not eating it. Who knows what new shoots are like? Lol perhaps it's like humans eating bamboo shoots, but not eating fully grown bamboo...

2.) I removed a clump of filter wool from the sump. The reason I had it in there was when I took it out of my nano, there was a ton of little creatures in it that I did not want to loose. I decided to leave it in the big tanks sump for a few days to (hopefully) relocate most of them. I ended up forgetting it in there for a few weeks. I also did a 10% water change after this.

3.) GHA - oh yay! I have a mat of GHA growing on another rock. It might possibly be out-competing the Bryopsis. Since I trimmed the Bryopsis, more nutrients are probably available and being used up by the GHA, resulting in the Bryopsis dying off.

4.) Plain old luck :)

I reckon a combination of the above. Although the tank is now in it's third month, it could also possible be part of a "cycle".

I'll upload some pics when I get a chance.

Chas, go to moolis at pet stop near you. get yourself the prodibio. It wont cost more than R500-00 depending on how big your system is. You add one vial of Biodigest per 1000 litres and one vial of bioptim per 300 or 400 litres (not too sure) every ten days. Turn your skimmer off for a few hours so it doesnt suck up the bacteria and leave it to do its thing. You will notice a difference after about two weeks as well as a drop in nitrates and clear water
I have been using biodirect for some time but haven't bought some of the other products for a while as cash was tight but I'll get some bioptim & more biodigest & try this method before I cook the LR. Thanks:thumbup:

nuisance algae

Dudes...I had some tufts of bryopsis break out (my fault, high nitrates fr octupus in sump)..few weeks later threw in a local blue semi (self caught)..he went to town on the crap quickly...been gone for 3 months now and no sign of returning...

Tried everything almost dived in the tank myself to chew the stuff off,,,,,seems like the prodibio and epson salts is working - dosed $$ magnesium with slow progress went over to the cheaper option with very good results

A long overdue update... I have no more Bryopsis in my tank, but I think I'm starting to get Cyano.

Moving to a new house in two weeks' time, so I've got some time to think about what to do. A scrubber seems to be the answer.

I tries uploading a pic of what I think is cyano, but I'm using Tapatalk and get an error when trying to upload from iphone...

Hi chas

How do you see the diff between gha and Bryopsis?

Iv got one of them and some cyno, need to get rid of them asap!

Hi chas

How do you see the diff between gha and Bryopsis?

Iv got one of them and some cyno, need to get rid of them asap!

GHA literally looks like hair, ie straight "strands" covering an are. Bryopsis looks like little treefern/palm leaves, and grow in small patches that look like little "clumps".

I "cooked" my rock in a tank that I stuck black sheeting over for 4mnths and the algae just came back. Tried Prodibio, vodka dosing, reduced light, magnesium etc, etc. Now going to boil my rock or leave it in the sun for a few days or so.

I "cooked" my rock in a tank that I stuck black sheeting over for 4mnths and the algae just came back. Tried Prodibio, vodka dosing, reduced light, magnesium etc, etc. Now going to boil my rock or leave it in the sun for a few days or so.
How long have you had the Bryopsis problem, and what livestock do you have in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom