Brown Jelly

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have what is best to describe as brown Jelly on one head of my Torch Coral.

The polyps on taht piece dissappread within a few hours and it is only sceleton left now... :(

Is this a disease or even something worse? What can I do?

I measured what I could:
SG 1.023
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Temp 25

Help help

Reaction score
My hammed developed brown jelly two weeks ago. Boy does it spread quickly. I dipped it in Lugol's iodine (bought at chemist) and it looks 100% better. I read a lot before taking this action and most sites suggested 40 drops per 1 gallon of salt water for 10 - 15 min. I recalculated 18 drops per 2 liter saltwater (use tank water and replace with new SW).

It seemed to halt the spread for two days, but it re-appeared. Spoke to my LFS and they suggested I dip 3 times a day until cured, or the coral is dead. Fragging of the infected area is also an option, although I am weary of that. I am planning to do this if it is not cured by Friday.

How old is your tank and how long have you had this coral?

PS. I am new to this hobby, so wait for more comments.

Reaction score
Thanks Guys

Max: I ave had the tank for only about amonth now, so also a newby...

The previous owner had it for about 8 month though with the Torch from the start.

Can the disease spread to Nennies, Sun coral, Shrooms, Zoa's?

Reaction score
Thanks J

It id spread to one other head... Shout I remove the dead head?

I can't believe how fast it actaully killed the head... It's like Ebola :eek:

Reaction score
sorry too hear dude, i had the same once.
it wiped out my entire colony in 3 days, very rapid!

Reaction score
Sure you meant bacteria?
Which bye the way is not the cause of brown jelly infections. It MIGHT be, but thats just speculation. It is surely involved, BUT then again, it always is.

Focus on prevention rather than cure! It all comes down to flow and possibly parameters....

Maybe i was a bit misleading here:

Help!!! - SPS Corals

Sounds more like the dreaded brown jelly infection, which is bacterial in nature.
You need to remove the effected corals from the water, with as little of the jelly as possible "falling off" into the tank. (Switching off flow helps) Cut away all infected parts and rinse the coral well ( in seperate water) before returning it to the tank.

There is no definite known cause for this disease, with cilliates, bacteria and protozoans (helicostoma??) have been blamed, but the jury is still out.

Personally i believe it to be a secondry infection (oppurtunistic) by bacteria/cilliates present on the host. In a healthy system with good flow, the bacterial colonies on coral tissues are "balanced". In an unhealthy/unhappy/stressed coral, its ability to regulate control bacterial population is affected and the population becomes skewed. The bacteria/cilliates devour dying coral tissue, increasing their population resulting in a snowball effect.
And some more reading:

http://www.sareefkeeping.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10805

For more reading:

It's a Small World, After All by Eric Borneman - Reefkeeping.com

From the article:
I plan to injure some corals and keep them in rather stagnant tank water to see if I can induce a "brown jelly
this secondary barrage of infectious pathogens known as "Brown Jelly" is highly infectious and so virulent that odds are not good at all of saving the specimen.
Do a thorough investigation of your system, husbandry practises and filtration setup to determine potential causes. My first suspect would always be flow and allelopathy....think about it.

From the same post by Mr. Calfo:

Maintain vigorous circulation and aeration in QT as well. Best regards, Anthony>
Like I said before.... There is no such thing as too much flow....

Reaction score
Thank you Ivan

That is some awesome info!

Maybe I should ask ORI to investigate the organisms involved...but like you said, prevention is better than cure..