Urgent help needed Brown jelly on Frog spawn

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by flamming angel, 11 Jan 2012.

1. flamming angel

flamming angel

Hi all

After a long holiday, yesterday i noticed that all my frog spawns have a brown like jelly that is around the heads and stems. I have tried to syphon it out but cant cos they are moving around. Can someone please advise me on what i can do. Im really worried that it is spreading and will start causing tissue damages to all the corals.

All advise and comments are most welcome.

THanks ppl :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

you have to frag the infected heads and give the coral a dip in an iodine solution. That stuff will spread to other corals. The disease will go down the skeleton so you have to cut out quite a bit of skeleton as well. Do you have a pic of the coral?

I know someone managed to cure their coral. SOmeone more experienced with brown jelly will give you a reply soon

4. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I will try and get a pic. What iodine solution should i buy.

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Last edited: 11 Jan 2012
  6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

As Tremayn said u need to get rid of the brown jelly as fast as possible, good flow or a rinsing of the coral to remove the jelly from it is a start and then as stated iodine dips have been known to sometimes help, I guess it depends how infected the coral is.

I lost a whole Torch coral to it within less than a day it can be that devistating. Where ever it touches its going to effect that piece of coral as well so u need to try and isolate it before it spreads further...usually occurs due to a coral, in all cases I have seen LPS, getting damaged and an infection resulting.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

if the whole coral is infected remove the whole coral

8. mytank

mytank

Here is some advise from someone that fought it for a month:

1. There is no cure so the quicker you get over it the better trust me dude

2. I tried the following :

X2 40% water changes a week
    X2 dips a day with all sorts of iodine, coral dip etc
    X amounts of siphoning when I saw brown jelly

Nothing happens. It spreads I lost alot of coral so advise:

1. Take it, out while cutting the head(s) drip iodine over the cut to disinfect and do a final dip a well when done.

2. Keep and monitor it in a hospital tank.

You can salvage the coral just not the heads that we infected.

Sent from my SGH-i917 Microsoft Windows Phone 7 (Mango) using Board Express

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Give it a iodine dip with lugols solution. I used a strength of 20 drops per 2L of water. Keep the coral in the dip for 15mins and use a turkey baster or something similar to blow all the jelly off that you can. Before you place it back in the tank give it another rinse in normal tank water just to make sure get rid of the lose jelly that will settle on it due to the blowing off with baster. You will have to do this everyday for a couple days. I dipped my ancora coral for 5 days even if it looked like the infection was gone.

10. lIghty

lIghty

IMO what ever you do, DO NOT REMOVE THE CORAL IMMEDIATELY!!!

First, are you sure its not growth? if a coral is healthy, the soft tissue will grow quite far down the skeleton. If its brown jelly it will cover the coral extremely quickly, within a day! if you know its Brown Jelly then here is my advise:

Turn the flow in the tank off. take a piece of air line pipe (6mm sometimes is a bit better) and syphon the jelly off into a separate bucket, if you start to move the coral around in the tank it will just come off and spread!

When syphoning you will notice cotton like threads coming deep from within the skeleton, just keep sucking, then generally give way, sometimes changing to a small pipe help to get further down into the skeleton, also place your bucket as low as possible, this helps create more suction.

Once clear for about a day or so (as you may have to syphon several time) then you can attempt to remove the dead part of the skeloton. I would do this by placing a big enough bowl to hold the coral submerged into the tank and "scooping" it out with water so to not cause any further damage, also don't snap it off, as this can damage the coral too, rather try "cut" it off with a blade under water, this way there is less irritation on the remaining living heads, then try flush all the jelly out the bowl with clean water and then place it back into the tank.

M2C

11. flamming angel

Just an update. I have all the advice and thanks to everyone. So this is what i did. I took out the frogspawn and tried to blow out all the jelly. Then got a coral revive made by two lil fishies. So far so good. will monitor and see how it does.

12. flamming angel

Update after 4 weeks. All i did was dip the corals in coral revive and that has worked wonderfully. Left it in the solution for a few minutes and all the jelly came of. Amazing how good this product is. Since then have not spoted any jelly. Keeping a close eye on the frog spawn to see if any pop up. But so far so good, they healthy and back to normal. Didnt need to frag them etc. So thumbs up for Coral revive.

13. kensleyk

kensleyk

Hi Flamming

Noticed my Hammer coral last night had developed the same Jelly...but by the time i siphoned of the jelly, half the coral was eaten away...must have developed early morning...
    Which fish shop did you get the Two little fishies -Coral Revive?

thanks

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

and dont ever try to syphon something off a sensitive tissue coral... you will cause permanent damage

and good luck fighting off the virus

15. kensleyk

kensleyk

Yip i know that...used a turkey baster to slowly suck up the jelly , then rinsed in iodine..but this morning the jelly was spread onto other good healty tissue....
    Hopefully the Jelly doesnt spread to other corals :( by the time i get home tonight

16. flamming angel

Okay so these things moves quick and alot of the time its more inside the the frog spawn so it eats from the inside.

17. Gazzer

Gazzer

Hey all, I wanted to know. How do I diagnose brown jelly? I have read on treatment, but not too sure what to look for when I get it

18. kensleyk

kensleyk

The Brown Jelly is almost translucent and looks like a blob of gooo and the coral that it covers generally dont expand // open...

19. mytank

mytank

Think of brown snot, that is what it looks like :)

Recent Posts