Brown diatoms in my refugeum

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Dlaria, 20 Aug 2011.

1. Dlaria

Dlaria

Ok LFS gave me some Cheato for my refugeum and told me to keep the light on it. Now I've got brown diatoms on the substrait in the refugeum. What do I do now? I think we've been leaving the lights on too much, and should have started slowly, after getting the LED's. I took out the shells in the DT. They were covered in the brown fuzz, and cleaned the glass. It was fine yesterday. :p The clown was not happy with me taking his conch shell. He attacked me. I've been fighting phos at 0.5 and have high Alk @ 12. (I can't get either to go down.) PH 8.3 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia 0. What should I do to get them out? Will the skimmer pull them out, if I keep wiping them off of stuff? How can I get them off the bottom of the refugeum? Are you supposed to keep the refugeum clean, or let it do it's thing?

Last edited: 20 Aug 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

How old is your system? Ill just let it do its thing. I presume your cycle has finished as you've got livestock. Diotoms are normal in a new setup. Regular water changes and good maintenance will sort it out. I sometimes get diatoms and that's after two years. Its one of those things. Keep doing water changes and also take things slow.add some bacteria like seachem stability or something once a week. It does wonders. Diatoms are part of the deal. They will go away with time. Patience is the name of the game.Post us some pics. We love em.

4. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Only about 6 - 7 weeks.
    [​IMG]

5. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, at this stage, the diatoms are your friends - they are actively taking up nutrients (phosphates, nitrates, etc) and if you are skimming, you are then removing some of the diatoms, thus exporting these nutrients.

It is quite natural for just about all new tanks to have a diatom outbreak when you start with your lighting (whether you ramp it up slowly, or start "full blast") - this is a sign that your tank can now start to support life, and an indication that one can (only at that stage, IMHO) start to introduce one's first fish, coral, etc. You have obviously jumped the gun a bit with stocking, and you will probably pay the price for this by having to fight green hair algae for a while to come in the near future, but if you maintain a light bio-load, good skimming, and do not over-feed, this too will go away after a while.

Hennie

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

7. pXius

pXius

Looooove the big shells!

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

Do you have your refugium lighting on a reverse cycle with your DT? ie when the DT lights are off then the refugium lights are on? :)

9. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

Yes, I've been doing the reverse lighting. I took the shells out, so I could spread out the rocks a bit and give me more area to place corals/etc., and they were covered with the diatoms. :(

10. Dlaria

Dlaria Thread Starter

What eats diatoms?

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, skimmers do :whistling:

Actually, diatoms are probably THE basic foodstuff of all the oceans - if there were no diatoms, there would be no corals, no fish, and quite possibly no humans on earth either... as I said, diatoms are your friends :biggrin:

On a micro scale (your tank), all algae-eating snails will eat diatoms growing on the rock/glass. Most small critters ('pods, worms, etc) as well as most filter feeders (I believe) will eat diatoms as well - oh, and so do some SPS corals...

Don't stress about the diatoms at this stage - the bloom will go away on it's own once your tank has aged a little more. Rather concentrate on reducing the nutrient levels in your tank - run phosphate remover, make sure that you have an adequate DLSB or live rock, and/or increase the algal growth in your refugium. Oh, and don't use much activated carbon at this stage (if any), as even the best carbons give off some phosphate...

Hennie

Recent Posts