Brown algae

Reaction score
I've just recently sorted my tank out, new SB, new sump, put my skimmer in on monday TS1 (big ups to lanzo):yeahdude:

but im growing this very fine algae on my sand bed (DT) and on my rocks, i have about 1.5 kg of live rock just to seed the bed.

its brown and rubs off very easily, is it algae? i just disturbed the samnd a bit and covered it up.

not too sure waht to do, or if its natural in a new system.

sump = bio balls-from old set up
ceramics-new
filter floss at inlet - bout a week old
TS1 skimmer - 3 days

all in all tanks been up and running for bout +- 2 weeks. got me some little worms in my SB (thats good right?)

Hello Geoffrey - it's most likely diatoms - and it is part of the cycling process. It will go away. Usually takes about 2-3 weeks, then it's gone...

Nothing to do about it.

Cheers, mate!

Ah, releif! but a quick quest. my nitrates aren't going down just did a test about 10 min ago, they are at 100. and i've been doing water changes. did 10% just 2 days ago?

Hi Geoffrey - do you perhaps have a canister filter, or any filter wool in your filtration system? Do you perhaps have some detritus in/around your life rock (even though this is a new system)?
You are not feeding anything yet, are you? How long do you say do you have the tank up-and-running for?

Do you have a DSB? (Deep sand bed) either in-tank or in your sump?

Ok - sorry - just saw your original post -

OK- possible problems:
- bio-balls = are known causes for high nitrates - you will have to remove them, unfortunately, IF you want your nitrates down
- filter-floss - how "dirty" is it? If it is brown at all, you should replace it already - some people replace their filter-floss every 2 to 3 days
- ceramic rings - also - a known "nitrate factory" - should also be removed.... sorry...

The best filtration for a marine tank, is the following:
- DSB (Deep sand bed -sand bed with ganules which is sugar-fine - bed should be between 12cm and 15cm deep)
- algae scrubber - macro algae, i.e chaetomorpha or caulerpa
- skimmer
- phosphate reactor (if you want)

And that's it.... nothing else...

The best filtration for a marine tank, is the following:
- DSB (Deep sand bed -sand bed with ganules which is sugar-fine - bed should be between 12cm and 15cm deep)
- algae scrubber - macro algae, i.e chaetomorpha or caulerpa
- skimmer
- phosphate reactor (if you want)

And that's it.... nothing else...
Don't forget sufficient live rock :)

well LR is expensive at the Moment. student:yeahdude:

my bio balls have no detritus on them. because they are floating in the sump. filter floss im changing tomor.

canister filter just has carbon in it. should i stop running it? it seems to really help with clarity though.

even though i have all this, shouldn't my skimmer take out all that shit before it becomes nitrates? have a tiny load. only 2 damsels, no detritus by my LR.

I have a 12cm DSB in my display tank, i was told anerobic starts at 10cm?

when i do water changes, whats the best way to go about it. ie. adding salt etc.

Oh and i also have the organic aqua range? does anyne know anything about this. should i use it to help start up my tank?

canister filter just has carbon in it. should i stop running it? it seems to really help with clarity though.
That's fine, just change the carbon every 2 or 3 weeks.

Hi Geoffrey - ditto on what Viper said.

Also - on the Organic Aqua range - perhaps try it - you don't have any life-stock to loose at the moment. DarrenCon believes very strongly in it. And Crispin, being some bio-chemical guru also said that it sounded good....

So - if you want to - try it and let us know the outcome on your nitrate levels....

JAc it works wonders in Koi ponds and FW tanks but i have not heard one good thing about it in marine tanks....

Hi MidasBlenny - I have noticed - you have +-200kg's of it? What's your thoughts then on a DSB?

If there was a restriction of any kind like finances then i`d say add a dsb to a system but otherwise with lots of rock and providing there was a refuge of sorts plumbed in, no need for a dsb.

Ah, releif! but a quick quest. my nitrates aren't going down just did a test about 10 min ago, they are at 100. and i've been doing water changes. did 10% just 2 days ago?

What water are you using for your water changes? have you tested this for Nitrates?

Using tap water... nitrates are low. about 10 maybe. not sure i'll check... might be organising an RO unit sometime soon. but i mean even if i hcange the water with 10mg/l water the nitrates should drop from 100, regardless! am i right?

Back
Top Bottom