Broke the record

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
If you look at the bottom of the forums page it breaks it down into genuine guests and search engine spiders.

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
What the hell is a slurp/google/msnbot/adsense spider???
Slurp is the name of Yahoo/Inktomi's bot if I remember correctly. Google is googles main bot. Msnbot is for Live! Search etc. Adsense spider visits and analyses the contents of pages so it can display better targeted ads on those pages. (though we don't have adsense so not quite sure why...)

A bot is not a hacker/spammer or anything of the sort. It's just basically how search engines work, they have bots that visit pages and follow all the links etc to find new pages while indexing the content so that the search engine has something to search...

You do get "bots" designed to register and spam etc but that's why we have anti-spam things in the registration... They are presumably on a bit of a lower budget than google so we don't really notice them. They also pretend to be a genuine browser instead of advertising that it's a bot etc, cos then you could just block that bot...

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Slurp is the name of Yahoo/Inktomi's bot if I remember correctly. Google is googles main bot. Msnbot is for Live! Search etc. Adsense spider visits and analyses the contents of pages so it can display better targeted ads on those pages. (though we don't have adsense so not quite sure why...)

A bot is not a hacker/spammer or anything of the sort. It's just basically how search engines work, they have bots that visit pages and follow all the links etc to find new pages while indexing the content so that the search engine has something to search...

You do get "bots" designed to register and spam etc but that's why we have anti-spam things in the registration... They are presumably on a bit of a lower budget than google so we don't really notice them. They also pretend to be a genuine browser instead of advertising that it's a bot etc, cos then you could just block that bot...
Thanks for that...anyone want to run that by me in "English for idiots":whistling: