Brittle starfish

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by Kevin, 13 Sep 2010.

1. Kevin

Kevin

Hi Guys,

I been away from the forum for a while now (studying, work, travelling etc).

I installed a sump on my Boyu TL550 in March / April this year and basically just put a whole lot of play sand in as a DSB with a bit of live rock from my display tank.

Yesterday, I was changing the light bulbs on the ATS, when I noticed that the sand on the DSB was alive with movement.

Closer inspection revealed hundreds of tiny brittle starfish. They are about 2mm in diameter and white in colour.

I had some baby brittle stars about a year back but none survived. I think the Harley got them all.

I have a huge brittle star in my display tank (body is the size of a R5 coin) and a few small ones which hang out in a small piece of live rock. The large one loves to chow pieces of hake, which I feed to my Harley. The Harley should actually eat the starfish, but he/she seems to be intimidated by it.

I have added nothing to my tank since March this year, so I have no clue as to where there little guys came from, unless they are breeding in my tank ? There are no babies in the main tank at all.

What are the chances they will survive to adulthood in a tank? Do they need any special diets?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Kevin,

those are micro-brittle stars, they wont grow much bigger. they are scavengers and a good sign your dsb is maturing, i just add cheato and swop some pieces of LR rubble from my tank once a month to keep the food going

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

ps. they best kept in the sump and most fish and shrimps will eat them

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I never had any either, until one day, I saw loads of them. Cool creatures.
    But mine are almost black.

Recent Posts