Bristle worms.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bflynn, 23 Apr 2013.

1. Bflynn

Bflynn

Hey people! I have loads of medium sized bristle worms in my tank. At first I was a bit worried about them, till I took the time to watch them tonight with a cell torch. They are amazing cleaners in my system. They are chomping bubble algae, cyano algae, cleaning LR and substrate, they are everywhere. I got a small piece of rock with a collection of mixed zoas on Sunday. After aquamating them I bombed it in the tank and inspected them. I noticed that a few of the polyps have died and gone brownish while the healthy ones did not open fully. The bristle worms are eating the dead ones and cleaning up the frag pretty good, but I am now stressing that they might damage the healthy ones.

Anybody experience bristle worms eating dead cora or damaging coralsl?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Hi, every one have a diffrent opinion about brissel worms. Don't toutch them they sting like hel. I also have them, saw 2 big one the other night. I don't like them, not even for a part of my clean up crew. Don't over feed.

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I dont like them so much as well, but they always do a great job of cleaning up your tank.
    Ugly little buggers, lol.

5. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I dont think they are too ugly:) seen fuglyer worms. I will check my feeding. Is there a trust issue between you and your bristle worms:eek:

6. Dorry

Dorry dorry

Bristle worms can get big and nasty. Saw video clips the big ones catching small fish while they sleep. I was sting a couple of times working in my tank without cloves. I just don't like them.

7. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Hey Dorry thanks! I just read in a few other threads that they can help a damaged coral survive by eating the dead parts and keeping the wound clean. Great news for me! If they do get to big then I will remove those ones. But for now I think im going to leave them be, so they can clean, clean, clean.

8. pkc

pkc

You don’t have a different opinion, in my opinion and experience; you have a very sensible opinion. The hobbyist will regret these segmented worms from remaining in the aquarium and what they will eventually do may end up an upsetting problem.
    Have a read if you like. Oh and once you get some of the millions of fine needles in you,waxing will pull them out, with pain of course.
    http://www.coralrx.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=22

9. Kender

Kender Charl

No offence, but this is an add, in my opinion not a scientific source, I'v had thousands of bristle worms in my tank for more than two years now and never had any problems with fish or corals, except they are truly bad to have if you keep anemones.

10. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

At the moment these guys are doing good only in my tank. Worms are great and are found in just about any ecosystem out there.

11. pkc

pkc

Each to their own and no offence taken.
    I have said that many times, at the moment. Some things I have learnt the hard way is not what many others have learnt, as yet! That’s part of the very interesting diversity with in the hobby.
    It may be a good lesson for someone if it does goes bad and it will be a very slow process if it does and its good for the economy. When hobbyists learn the hard way as I have so many times due to no help in the late seventies, you learn well and truly, and the shops get more sales.
    For my reef tanks life forms safety and longevity, why would I risk a maybe! My motto for my time of learning is, “if in doubt chuck it out”, this leaves you with no mistakes any more.
    Hope it all goes well; it’s a wonderful hobby.

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Just something to think about, next time you sit still for 5 minutes...

If you have millions of bristle worms in your system, they can only get to that population numbers if they have enough food. Being scavengers, means that they are eating a lot of fish waste and left over food. Imagine your water parameters without these hard working scavengers.

13. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I agree! These guys are working day and night.

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Why, new info for me, please educate me.

15. Kender

Kender Charl

I had an anemone for about a year, one evening while feeding it a peace of hake, a 30cm bristle worm came fighting for the fish. As I had both bristle worms and the anemone in the same tank for a year I did not think anything bad would happen. WRONG. the bristle worm stung the anemone and the anemone grabbed the worm, both ended up dead within a day.

Last edited: 24 Apr 2013
  16. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I hate Bristle worms...I also left them and now I've got an Epademic...they are all over my little bit of Corals that I have left...they irritate them(corals)..which leads to them closing up...when they close up they don't get light to grow...then they gradually die...hence the Bristles eating the dead/dying Corals..watch out or you'll end up like this...
    [​IMG]

17. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Wow . . .

What about Arrow crabs , I hear they eat bristle worms are part of there diet ?

Last edited by a moderator: 27 Apr 2013
  18. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Set a trap and catch them. Make food for your fish:)

19. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Maybe dont make food:p bristles might be a problem.

20. archiecrain

archiecrain

Well if you feed heavily you will end up with lots of bristle worms.....feed less and they will die off as they have less to scavenge on.

I think its an easy problem to solve.

21. Pendragon

Pendragon

get one of these

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
Recent Posts