Urgent help needed bristle worms

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Pieter kruger, 21 Feb 2011.

1. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger

hi

i started a new 102 nano tank. it is 2 and a half weeks old and still cycling. I saw about 3 red and black bristle worms in my tank and need to know if they are good or bad. some say they are good and some say they are bad. can somebody please give me the facts, I am tired of surfing the net now with different views all the time.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

IMO they are good

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I was just wondering the same myself. everyone is of the opinion that they are good.
    What exactly do they eat? Can a person be stung by one of them? What are the pro's and con's of having them in the tank?

5. Dane

Dane

IMHO good detritus scavengers. I have heard stories of monster worms "eating fish" but if you read a little deeper in every instance these were fish that probably died and then the worms just came for the clean up. That said, I probably wouldnt feel too comfortable with 3ft long fireworms in my tank! ;-)

I've been "stung" by them several time (they're actually bristles - not a sting, like a tough hair), and it is very irritating, but goes away.

Pieter kruger likes this.
  6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

They are good as they are scavengers and do the cleanup work inside and under the rocks. They will eat dead fish and dead or dying corals and inverts. Some thinks they catch the fish, not so - the fish probably died and then they start cleaning it up - that's what they do.
    Their numbers will increase if you feed to much, so watch the overfeeding ;)
    And yes, they can sting you. Those fine little hairs can be quite irritating :p

7. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

BOET can you get stung .......... eish is all i can say .... once worked in a tank where the bristle worms were as thick as my little finger...no word of a lie .....Cr@##ed myself ....

they are very good at munching up leftovers and dead inmates ... a good part of any CUC IMO

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

posted same time Dane :p

9. Dane

Dane

:)

10. Pieter kruger

Pieter kruger Thread Starter

another question

at least the worms is something to look at at the moment. on my tank the filter system sit at the back of the tank. when I top up with ro water, do i need to fill in the display area or in the filter area? I have added 2 fans to help with temp controll so the evaporation rate is quite high. at the moment it is still cycling so I only run the lights for about 3 hrs per day. the temp setteled at about 26 degrees. is this right? do I need to top up with ro on a daily basis? or rather every other day? then another question. it is a 102 lt tank. i have 9.5 kg live rock in the display, 2.5 pourus rock in the filter that will go live in 6 months and 1.5 kg rough coral in the filter. I also have about 1 kg porcelain noodles and a bag of carbon. how many creatures can i put in the tank? the first thing will be the cleaning crew. how many and what types.

Recent Posts