Bristle Worm Trap

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Bendor, 13 Jan 2015.

1. Bendor

Bendor

I haven't paid to much attention to these guys as they are good scavengers and have the decency to only show their faces at night (mostly). I have seen some big ones in my tank before but this weekend I decided to do a midnight visit and they were plentiful, huge and all over the place. I decided to thin the pack out a little and built a worm trap. It took about a minute to make, and another 2 minutes to load with food and place in the tank.

It's a normal Tupperware cup with lid, I melted the base off center with a creme brûlée torch (never leave home without it). I stuck a silicone gun tip in the hole so very little of the base was left and as the plastic cooled it hardened around it and kept it in place. I loaded with a piece of fish and wedged it under a rock with the entrance placed high off the substrate. The big worms could get in but due to the taper of the tip and the fact that it was situated high inside the chamber they had difficulty getting out. The cup is quite dark and full of food so maybe they didn't want to get out in the first place.

The next morning I had about 20 fat worms in the trap and for the last few nights only the little ones cruising around the tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

Short base outside, long tip inside.

image.jpg

4. Pendragon

Pendragon

intresting cause I hae a big one in my tank estimate it around 15cm and want to get it out, so tagging.

5. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

All you really need is a closed container with a small 3 to 4mm hole. Put some fish in there and weigh it down with a rock. You'll have plenty of worms in the morning. I was just trying to imitate crayfish and crab traps for a higher hit rate.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

move the big ones to your sump to clean that out for you. Just provide a hiding spot for them.

7. Elrond

Elrond

Thanks guys, very helpful! I'm convinced I've got some large ones in my tank!

Recent Posts