Bristle worm trap

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Paul B, 6 Mar 2012.

1. Paul B

Paul B

I kind of like bristleworms but now I just have too many of them. Whenever I move a rock I notice it is loaded with the little slimers. I recently had a small clam up on the rocks and it fell onto the gravel. The worms sucked it out in no time so now it is war. Over the years I have made dozens of bristleworm traps and just about any design works. You can even put a piece of clam or fish into a piece of stocking and they will be stuck all over it.
    This design I made in about 5 minutes and put it in the tank last night with a piece of clam. It netted 5 worms over night. I will use it for a few weeks to reduce the population to manageable levels.
    It is just an acrylic tube about 1 1/4" in diameter but any pill case will work. I stuck in a smaller tube about 3/8" in diameter. Any tube will work as long as it is small enough to keep out the crabs and snails. The tube needs to extend into the container a little so the worms can't figure how to get out. Lobster traps work on the same principal. And lobsters are smarter than worms.
    The worms have a great sense of smell and will find the bait but the end of the tube should be at sand level. For this model I bent the tube down to hit the sand.
    I also have a string on it so I don't have to stick my hands in the water.
    Have fun
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

Thanks Paul, I'll keep this idea in mind should I have a bristleworm outbreak.. cheers.

4. mandarinman

mandarinman

Thanks for sharing all your cool ideas

5. LouiseS

LouiseS

I can't seem to see the photo :p Any idea how to find it ? Sounds interesting....

6. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I guess I deleted it. It was an acrylic tube with a small 3/8" tube sticking out one end and extending a distance into the larger tube, like 1/2". The worm goes into the tube to find the bait which is a piece of clam or fish and don't know how to get out. Of course both ends of the larger tube must be sealed. You can use a medicine bottle and just drill a hole on one end, stick a smaller tube into it and bait it. insert the smaller tube to the side a little and not in the center so that when you lay it in the tank, the tube hits the sand so the worms can crawl in. Put a string on it so you don't have to stick your hands in the tank

7. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Brilliant idea! Adding it to my favourite threads! Been reading quite a few of your threads on reefcentral Paul, love your experience man!:thumbup:

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

I need to make this...pity I never saw this Thread before, with the picture....:blush:...I'm infested with Bristle worms...will give it a try...would this also help with small baby one's...? I've got a good 2 - 3 big one's(15cm) but the other zillions seems to be about 2cm...drop some food on a LR and zillions come out of the LR...and duck right back in again...:eek:

9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

:eek: Sheesh, that is huge, I was once "zapped" by one that big, all I can say is ouch, felt like I had hundreds of splinters in my fingers for days, and what made it worse, I worked at LFS and took care of their marines, they had a bad electrical field in the tanks, I was not happy for a long time!

10. Goolam

Goolam

can we see a picture of this trap?

11. Paul B

Paul B Thread Starter

I can't find a good picture of the thing but this is it from the back. With this one I just have a square piece of acrylic on the back with a rubber band. The smaller tube is facing away.
    Here I also added a tube that I pumped water in from above to kind of let the smell out but that is not needed and it worked better without it.
    It's just a container with a smaller tube coming out of it, nothing fancy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Oct 2012
  12. LouiseS

LouiseS

Thanks @Paul B. will definitely give this a try :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  13. Goolam

Goolam

Thanx Paulb. Lets catch some worms

Recent Posts