Bristle/Fire Worm

moz

Reaction score
ID Please, saw it for the first time yesterday, then again today both times the lights were on.

22848039914b70a2.jpg

hmmm, not sure, can you pick it up so we can get a closer look.

hmmm, not sure, can you pick it up so we can get a closer look.

:razz:

i can see a majano just above it, get rid Moz

Do you mean get rid of the worm? I don't think thats a majano above, just a small small Green Star Polyp, I'll check tomorrow just to make sure.

Hmm, you could be right, it looks close to a majano, but if you can get a proper look to make sure, then so much the better, and no, don't kill the bristleworm, they are good guys (with slightly painful bits):)

Hmm, you could be right, it looks close to a majano, but if you can get a proper look to make sure, then so much the better, and no, don't kill the bristleworm, they are good guys (with slightly painful bits):)

Thanks, glad to here that, getting it out might have proved a bit difficult.

They are great, they will eat anything left around that could rot and push up your nitrates, the only embuggerance is the hairs sting like a burn if you get one in your finger (and i can personally vouch for that):lol:

i ahve learnt from reading on here that bristle worms are not supposed to be tickled, but i must say they do get rather large quite quickly. I guess with a new tank they had lots to feed on at night, but they were an endless source of fun in the cycle process.

excuse the ignorance but what is a majano?

No, don't tickle a bristleworm, it hurts, actually "it hurts" is the understatement of the month, it hurts like hell, is a lot closer to the fact.

The majano, is a member of the anemone family, and a bit like the aptasia, spread freely and sting anything near it, shame is, some of them are very pretty.

so something else to murder in our tanks? haveing bounced round a number of systems almost all have aptasia to a degree. i even managed to purchase some on the frag plates of the new corrals I got...free nog al:) are aptasia as hectic as people say?

i am sure i saw a pic recently of a zoa collony with aptasia growing thru them. i'll see if i can trawl the pic up again.

Aptasia can be bad if they spread, if kept under control, they don't actually do much harm, infact as they are filter feeders, they can do some good, trouble is, you may not be able to control their numbers if they get out of hand.
And the usual aip treatments work with majanos, but if you have a small flat piece of rock, place it over the majano, it will try to find the light and get up onto the piece of rock you put over it, you simply remove the rock, and shazzzam the majano has gone:lol:

Huh Moz? IS this really for an ID? Or is this a VERY late April's Fool Joke? ;-)

I am sure that you have been in the "thing" long enough to have seen MANY MANY of these things?

First one I've seen in my tank, with the lights on. Also, I saw the worm at the same time as something began bothering my colt, so I was wondering. I have since discovered that my bicolour blenny has decided that it occasionally needs to take a bite at the colt, I can't see any damage but the bitten branchs close for awhile.

You 100% correct Moz! No - the bristleworm SHOULD not bother the corals. The colt coral will open up again. There must be some food in some form or another that the bicolor blennie is trying to eat.... They do not usually develop a liking for coral polyps....

Back
Top Bottom