Bringing back dead rock

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by snakeh, 11 Oct 2009.

1. snakeh

snakeh

Hi I'm looking at buying a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft fish tank that is empty but contains 60kg of fiji "Live Rock" The tank has been empty for about a year is there any way of getting the rock back to life, ive heard that it could be done by addin live rock to the dead to re seed it is this possible???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

it most definatley will become "live" again but will only be performing optimally after 6-8 months denitrification wise.. regular additions of magnesuin/calcuimand keeping your waterwell buffered will get you there qickly.. seeding it with rock with good healthy corraline and adding a good cleanup crew will definatley be to your benefit.. good luck

4. snakeh

snakeh Thread Starter

Thanks for the post, how long we looking to get it back to live by adding the elements you've mentioned ??

5. leslie hempel

bacteria will colonise on it fairly quickly so id say 30 days. but decorativley (corraline encrusted and denitrification wise you looking at appox 6 months.

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Hi Snakeh, welcome to MASA - glad you joined us. Why don't you start a thread of your own in the NEW MEMBERS forum and introduce yourself? You'll get a warm MASA welcome from everyone ;)

7. leslie hempel

ooopps sorry forgot my manners...welcome :)

8. snakeh

snakeh Thread Starter

Thankyou, how much live rock would you recommend adding to help kick start it??

9. leslie hempel

depending on the size of tank and your patience levels you could add as little as 10kg but then i would take it easy with stocking your system and a more diligent approach to water chemistry would need to be approached to stop the colonisation of nuisance algae's on the base rock.. i used 7 kg LR and it seeded approx 80-100kg of rock. the first signs of corralone were evedent after 3 months..

i also used a variety of LR (kenyan/malaysian/ local) to give me a better chance at sucess.

10. crispin

crispin

i agree with Les but i would personally rather get a container and cure that dead LR with some LR for a period (as les says thats months not weeks) and get some new LR for the tank to cycle with so that you can get the tank going quicker and rehabilitate that LR over time. I wouldnt look at using the dead stuff to start up a tank with new seeded LR, i think that will lead to nutrient leaching and a steady battle with algae that will be unsightly and wear your enthusiasm down:(

welcome to masa, its great to have you asking such questions

Recent Posts