Brine shrimp:Where do they go?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by goodisor, 27 Dec 2008.

1. goodisor

goodisor

Guys.I have been hatching brine shrimp.They've all hatched and I've bombed a whole lot of them into my tank,of course the chromis dont waste any time clearing them up along with the banana wrasse.However many of them sink to the bottom and land on the rocks.Now my question is:What happens to those that dont get eating?Is it in their nature to keep floating around or do they cling to the rocks and substrate and attempt to survive?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

i do think that its in any animals nature to try and survive although it is more then likely they will get munched up

4. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Howdie Siyaadb.I realize that they will try to survive,but Im not sure how brine shrimp do that.Is it in their nature to cling to rocks and substrate or are they free swimmers that float around.My main reason for asking is,if they are the crawly type,then it is in my best interest to bomb a whole stack in the tank at one time so that they can head for the rocks where my mandarin and wrasse can chomp them.But if they are free swimmers then just the right amount for the chromis will be added at a time...you know what I mean?

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Check out Brine shrimp in their nature environment - The Great Salt Lake. They have no predators, and have no reason to be hide. These creatures will not survive long in any tank as they have not evolved to have any "real" survival tactics/actions.

You can see the difference if you chuck pods in your tank. Different swimming action and they go straight to the reef for safety.

6. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Thanks warr.I saw that on google too,very interesting.It seems they are more inclined to float around then,rather than crawl around the rocks.....pitty,I was hoping they would swarm the rocks for my mandarin

7. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

Goodisor if you worried about food for the mandarin why not make an overflowing(directly into the tank) refugium for him? In that way you can ensure that pods are always finding their way into your tank?

8. Warr7207

Warr7207

Not sure if you have a scrubber, up and running ?

If you do, take the sheet and dip it in the tank after lights out. You will introduce thousands of pods. They will have a better chance of survival due to the fish sleeping, and next day your Dragonet will have loads of food, and hopefully they will breed in your reef.

Main problem I see is that the Wrasse is Dragonet's worst enemy, they are pod killing machines and wipe out tank populations very quickly. Thy are also way more efficient than the Dragonet.

9. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

I learnt something new

10. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

Some good ideas,thanks Ziyaad and Warr.I was thinking of setting up a small brine shrimp hatchery and have a timer to pump a certain amount into the tank so now and then....just not sure what to use that will transfer the shrimps with out killing them.

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

thats a good idea but i dont have a clue as to how you would be able to get that done esp considering that you dont want to pump empty brine shrimp eggs into the tank a well

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

what you could do is have the hatchery at more or less tank level, higher may be better, and have a small pump in the DT or sump, that pushes some water into your hatchery and shrimp go into the DT via the hatcheries overflow. that way not shrimps go through pumps:)

13. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

I would first hatch them and then just have the BS in the feeding trough,so to speak.
    That is a brilliant idea Scuba.I am going to think on that for a bit:yeahdude:.

14. scubaninja

scubaninja

what can i say? i'm a legend:) well, some props must go to tobes for suggesting a similiar thing:p when i wasnt listenin;)

15. Warr7207

Warr7207

You really want to set-up such complex systems to feed your fish, ****. Brine shrimp at the the best of time is candy floss.

Rather breed Rotifiers or Pods

16. goodisor

goodisor Thread Starter

I hear you,but BS are just so easy.And they really are just to treat and stimulate the fish in the long run.I do feed a mixture of flakes and pellets aswell.Or maybe its just because I dont know how to breed the others!

Recent Posts