Brine Shrimp for Cold Water

Reaction score
I was wondering - is there a cold water brine shrimp that could be cultivated for fish food?

water temperature should be around 25-27 Celsius, else they will not hatch.

The eggs / cysts can withstand high or cold temperatures.

The newly hatch brine shrimps will not like it when dumped into cold water. but they should anyway only survived long enough to be eaten by your fish.

water temperature should be around 25-27 Celsius, else they will not hatch.

Which means brine shrimp do not hatch in cape waters? Are these shrimp not part of the nps coral diet?

Im breeding brine shrimp outside my house in a 200L tank. Have thousands of the little buggers. All that is needed to breed them is salt water and the sun. And every now and again I feed them spirilina.

yip as easy that.....once my tank has enough algae i will stop feeding spirilina. Then the brine shrimp will feed of the algae growing inside the tank.

yip as easy that.....once my tank has enough algae i will stop feeding spirilina. Then the brine shrimp will feed of the algae growing inside the tank.

You perhaps have pics and advice?

Theres not much to it.......basically just salt water......i use non iodized salt......Get salinity up to about 1.035........i added big shrimps i bought from petshop. Just feed them every now and again. They just carry on their own. My setup still new so not feeding yet from it, but should be ready soon to feed the fish

Dexter, forgive me for maybe sounding like a total idiot, but are you saying you breed brine shrimp on normal non iodized salt - and not the fancy petshop salts?

Yes! Normal non-iodized salt works just fine for brine shrimp!

I like the sound of that...
But the water has to be between 25-27 degrees C? And the spirilina? Water changes?

Last edited:
To be honest i've never tested water temperature. Yip Spirilina is the stuff you buy at the chemist. The green pill stuff. One can feed various other stuff aswell but I havent tried them yet. The spirilina works just fine for me.

A mate of mine use to use his water from water changes of his tank. Also works just fine. I just went the non iodized route because its cheaper. Cost me R90 for 50kg salt.

If you have time ect read up on Brine shrimp. They are most nutritious for fish when they just hatched. I just dont have the energy to hatch brine shrimp everyday. Its a tedious process to hatch them. Or at least for me.

They are most nutritious for fish when they just hatched.

I've read within 24hours after hatching. Btw, just wondering, why wouldn't the "shrimp salt mix" not work for the normal tank?

I have no Idea how they make reef salt.....Maybe it will work but I guess one would need to buffer it with ca, mg and alk and all the other bits and pieces that make up reef salt.. But please dont try this. I have no idea or experience doing this.

Back
Top Bottom