Brine shrimp enrichment

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Maddy, 24 May 2016.

1. Maddy

Maddy

What products are there in SA that contain high levels of HUFAs that I can use to enrich baby brine shrimps?

2. Guest

3. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Any advice would be appreciated as im expecting a batch of Bangii's soon as well.

4. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

Brightwell's AminOmega,Brightwell is no longer available in SA, but some shops might still have some of the old stock

5. OP
    Maddy

Maddy

@ Hammerhead what I've been doing with my seahorses which I had for a while as well as my bangai and snowflake fry at this stage is a recipe I got from an overseas site where a guy said I could follow this recipe. He said it is at least better than nothing and I must say I think it works well. A friend of mine and I are experimenting with the fry, he has half and I have half. The other day he brought me some of his fry (he doesn't enrich the bbs) and theres a clear difference between them. My fry are a very nice healthy colour compared to his. His are very, almost translucent, if I can put it that way and the other day it struck me that it must be the bbs that I'm enriching? I'm guessing but why else is there such a clear difference between them?

Anyway, I mix omega fish oil, egg yolk and spirulina together (Ill send you in detail the amounts etc if you're interested) and freeze it in small plastic holders as I only use 2 drops in a 2liter bottel otherwise the bbs dies off. Every week I use a new holder as after a week its not fresh enough anymore. The freezing also helps that I don't have to make a batch too often. This really works well for me.

Hammerhead likes this.
  6. hadiosbourne

hadiosbourne

@Maddy please share the recipe here if you dont mind, where do you get Spirulina ?

Last edited: 30 Jun 2017
  7. OP
    Maddy

Maddy

I get the spirulina and fish oil from Dischem. Can't exactly remember the amounts of each ingredient, will have to check and come back to you.

Hammerhead likes this.
  8. Hammerhead

Hammerhead

Yes, would love to know more details.

9. Nella

Nella

+1 please

10. OP
    Maddy

Maddy

I use 1 cup of saltwater, 1 egg yolk, quarter cup of fish oil and 2 flat spoons of spirulina powder. Hadiosbourne suggested using Krill oil maybe also as its more nutritious. I just blend all together (but first the spirulina and water and then add the rest) for about 3 minutes and thats it. As I said I only add literally 2 drops per 2 liter bottle of bbs, otherwise the bbs dies off.

Nella likes this.

Recent Posts