Brine Shrimp Eggs

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've recently gotten back into the fish keeping hobby after more than 12 years. I've decided to keep it simple & start off with Live Bearers. To my surprise, not only have my live bearers bred like crazy, but I've had my Bronze Corydoras spawn & hatch as well. After some research, I've learned that BBS( Baby Brine Shrimp) is the best for growing up these little ones. I've purchased eggs from QUALIPET & I've tried every possible hatch method I've come across on Google & Youtube & none of my eggs have ever hatched.

Can someone please advise me on this & point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your brine shrimp eggs are old which is most likely the reason they are not hatching. I recently purchased eggs in America because the eggs I had also stopped hatching. After trying a few different methods including floating them in hydrogen peroxide I was forced to admit defeat. I can unfortunately not tell you which LFS has fresh eggs but yes the eggs do go stale if not hatched for a long period of time.

Reaction score
I also suspect that the eggs are of inferior quality. I have seen some brands on Ebay, including brands that come directly from the Great Salt Lake. I've been hesitant to try it out, but now I'm at my wits end if you yourself say that the eggs purchased from America have not yeilded you any results as well.

Any recommendations on eggs which come from Thailand? I've seen quite a few from Thailand on Ebay as well.

Reaction score
Have a look for Ocean Nutrition Brine shrimp eggs, they were not in stock last year but have appeared at some LFS's again and they have a high hatch rate. The other place to buy from is Brineshrimpdirect.com who's eggs I have been very happy with. Any eggs from the Great Salt lakealso tends to be of a good quality. Try and make sure you buy with a hatch rate of 80% or higher.

459b

Reaction score
I have the ocean nutrition brine shrimp eggs. They were a bit expensive but the hatch rate has been excellent and i havent even used a quarter of the box in a year.

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I've also seen the Ocean Nutrition eggs. I will get the Ocean Nutrition ones as well as the Great Salt Lake ones, to see which one I succeed with

Reaction score
brine shrimp direct work very nicely. I am currelty using some from germany also very nice once get used their requirements. I started off on ocean nutrition and also very good but works out very expensive.

Reaction score
I am going to try Brine Shrimp Direct.
Why not try Algea barn? they ship live brine. if you hatching Ocean Nutrition has always given the best hatch rate for me. you can try Daphnia and white worms as well

Reaction score
Why not try Algea barn? they ship live brine. if you hatching Ocean Nutrition has always given the best hatch rate for me. you can try Daphnia and white worms as well
Thank you.

Reaction score
Just for future reference, can any one provide a full explanation as to how they hatch BBS? I believe the water here in Durban is between 7.4 to 8.0 in PH level.

So far, my method is 1 & 2/3 of a tablespoon of Aquarium Salt to 1 liter of water with a small pinch of Bicarbonate of Soda to buffer the PH.

Is this right? I would appreciate any advice.

Reaction score
sounds about right nut i find each brand is slightly different. It should come with instructions just follow that and you should be good. I have never used the bi carb

Reaction score
sounds about right nut i find each brand is slightly different. It should come with instructions just follow that and you should be good. I have never used the bi carb
I will definitely give this a shot.