Brine Shrimp Eggs

Reaction score
Ok so i got me some Brine Shrimp eggs from the LFS... They told me to put them in a tank with seawater and airstone, will hatch in 24 hours, wel its 1 week later and only 5% hatched but this morning i didnt see any in the holder, they were small very small could only see them in sunlight...They hatched 2 days ago the 5%, the others are still eggs... Did i do something wrong...

Please help:(

Thanks

Its under the tank and not in the sump... yes there a lid on with a small hole for the airtubing

Use old water from a water change + airstone and keep the temp at 25 to 28 degrees. They should hatch with 48 hrs. I've never seen brineshrimp hatch in 24hrs, but hey I'm still new to this. Also the hatch rate is dependant on the freshness of the eggs. I've found that the eggs you get from an average LFS wil only hatch 25 to 50%

my 2c

Wikus

Had similar experience with eggs from LFS in Bergfliet. Then moved onto the aqua medic product, and was even more disappointed. I got some from LFS in Bothasig, with a very high hatch rate.
I suspect the freshness has a lot to do with hatchrate. The ones i prefer is in a sealed test tube, airtight, as opposed to the ones in plastic pill holders.
You welcome to come fetch some, as I have had them lying around for some time. The best way to guarantee freshness is to buy a large tin, but it is equivalent to lifetime supply and is quite pricey.

Mine is in the airtite tube... But what i dont understand is some hached and thend died off...

I think i know the hatchery you are talking about - what i did was stuck the whole hatchery in my tank (use the 2 suckers they give you) and ran the air tube in it. The tank gave them enough light and heat and when they hatched, i took the whole hatchery out, dumped the water and put the shrimp into my tank.

The important points are to give them light, heat and air. In summer, i use a 2lt bottle placed by the window with an air line as the temps are much higher.

Sunlight yes, but no heat, so what ill do is, float them in my sump with water in a bucket, will be the best...

i buy these sea monkey thins r5 a bag of eggs i put then in a bucket ok salt water no water flow all the eggs hatch

i buy these sea monkey thins r5 a bag of eggs i put then in a bucket ok salt water no water flow all the eggs hatch

Where do you buy this?

I have hatched many successfully. I took a 2L coke bottle (plastic) and pushed a small airline tubing through the cap, connected to an airstone. You want to have lots of turbulence in the water - the eggs must NOT lay on the bottom. I suspended this upside down in my sump (to stabilize the temperature). I also had about 8 hours a day light. Inside I filled it about 90% full with tank water. I dropped about 3ml of eggs in it. Most hatched between 24 and 48 hours.

I have hatched many successfully. I took a 2L coke bottle (plastic) and pushed a small airline tubing through the cap, connected to an airstone. You want to have lots of turbulence in the water - the eggs must NOT lay on the bottom. I suspended this upside down in my sump (to stabilize the temperature). I also had about 8 hours a day light. Inside I filled it about 90% full with tank water. I dropped about 3ml of eggs in it. Most hatched between 24 and 48 hours.

sorry likesfish wont you just confirm for me....u put the bottle upside down in the sump, ie thin cap side DOWN? the reason i question is you say that the eggs must not lie static on the bottom, so a wider surface area (ie the bottle right way up) would be better?

the daylight comes from sunlight or a daylight bulb used for your refugium?

and when do you feed the hatched eggs fior max nutrient quality?

Back
Top Bottom