brine shrimp breeding

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by deadmeat2016, 23 Nov 2012.

1. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Was wondering what methods there are of successfully breeding brines and isolating them, i have used the coke bottle but dont like it, just fishing for ideas......pics aswell please:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

4. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

hmmm, i dunno, does it work?

5. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

whats wrong with a coke bottle?

7. Hails

Hails

Pour the hatched brineshrimp into a separate tank with a white light fitting next to it. Then use a beeeeeg syringe to suck up the lot hovering by the light.

[​IMG]

This one will do :tt2:

8. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Quick questions - how often do you need newly hatched shrimp. Do you decapsulating the eggs.

As a person who hatches brine shrimp daily I will gladly assist with some tips

Andre

9. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Thread Starter Wouter

decapsulating? thats bleaching them isnt it? I would like to feed my corals newly hatched brine every evening but need to set up a hatchery with a effective breeding setup

10. Ikraam

Ikraam

tagging along sounds very interesting

11. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Decapsulating can be described as bleaching eggs but the idea is to remove the outer shell. This in turn assists with a higher hatch rate, a faster hatch rate, a highly nutrient enriched brine shrimp and less chance of exposing your tank to a nudibranch like infestation.

The best and highest hatch rate for brine shrimp is still obtained by using a 2L bottle or similar structure. A search on the internet will provide you with some large hatchers.

The nice thing about these hatchers are the way in which the hatched shrimp are drained while the unhatched eggs stay behind. A brine Shrimp hatchery can be used for up to three days by adding new eggs to the hatcher on a daily basis after removing the already hatched young.

A new method available in South Africa (but very pricey) is the magnetized Brine Shrimp eggs and egg separator. The hatched young are poured out while the eggs are contained due to the magnetized holder.

So the questions remain - do you feel like decapsulating once a week or just add the eggs and seperate the shrimp. Let me know and I will try and assist as best I can

Andre

12. Ikraam

Ikraam

hey sorry guys question i no they have the most nutrients when they are hatched with there sack and all
    but how do u get them bigger or is this not posibble

let me no pls

13. Sea-Horse

Sea-Horse

Ikraam- in Gauteng you can purchase adult brine shrimp weekly at most pet stores. The biggest problem with Brine Shrimp is that they need consistent enrichment. Feeding brine Shrimp 3 days or older is normally described as the equivalent of feeding cardboard to you fish.

Having said this most stores these days have some brilliant enrichment. If you set up a 2 plastic containers purchased at your local plastic store and add some brine shrimp you should be able to harvest adult shrimp at least once a week.

To keep the Brine Shrimp growing make sure your water salinity is very high. Going right off the normal marine fish charts are fine. Food in the form of greenwater, chicken droppings or yeast all aid to the growth.

A airstone is not needed and often the cause of a sudden loss of brine shrimp (hatching brine shrimp from eggs needs airstone). If you notice the brine shrimp starting to swim on the surface of the water your culture is about to crash in which event a airstone or a minor water change will make the difference (Therefore the high salinity).

When hatching brine shrimp remember a high temp and/or high salinity guarentees a quick hatch but normal temps and a lower salinity gives you a high hatch

Trust this helps a little
    Andre

Recent Posts