Brine pond

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mc, 13 Nov 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi All.

Has anyone tried to keep brine shrimp in a pond?
    I was at a LFS yesterday looking for brine and the guy there took me to the back and caught some for me out of a pond, :eek: first time I have ever heard of that.
    I asked him about it and he told me its fresh water and they eat the algae in the pond. The funny thing is I brought them home and put half of them in a container in the water they came in and the other half in salt water that I had left over from my tank. When I woke up this morning I was surprised to see all the brine in the origanal water are dead and all the brine I put in the salt water still alive. I understand they are supposed to live in salt water, but what I don't understand is how they are living and breading in fresh water.
    I have an old pond about a meter by a meter and half and im thinking of setting one of these up, as I have a mandarin and a fresh water pipefish that only eat live brine. I was just wondering if anyone has tried this before as can't find anything on masa or google?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

you could also set up a tub of water I guess, for the guys with no ponds

4. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

I have tried this and I can keep them alive but cant get them to breed, or maybe it was because the babies died. This pond just seemed so simple no filter and no food just borehole water.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

I think maybe all the algae has something to do with it. Perhaps thats food? Have no clue, just guessing :)

6. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thats exactly what I was thinking.

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

If you want to get into plankton and live food culture these two books are a must.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Plankton-Culture-Manual-Frank-Hoff/dp/0966296044/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321172001&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Plankton Culture Manual - Sixth Edition (9780966296044): Frank H. Hoff, Terry W. Snell: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DrGAcDDqL.@@AMEPARAM@@51DrGAcDDqL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Culturing-Live-Foods-Step---Step/dp/0793806550/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321172173&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Culturing Live Foods: A Step-by-Step Guide for Culturing One's Own Food for the Home Aquarium (9780793806553): Michael R. Hellweg: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518Ns1l33WL.@@AMEPARAM@@518Ns1l33WL[/ame]

8. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks NJ.
    I went to that LFS again today and spoke to the manager he says it definately has salt in it, so that explains that. Im gonna try set one up soon and see if it works, its gonna take alot of salt.
    The reason the the guy that works there thought it didn't have salt is because he normally fulls it up and doesn't put salt in it.

9. Firefly

Firefly

A friend of mine told me that he setup a temp-pond outside his house and put all of his brine in there with plain sea-water. This was years ago though.

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

lol but its gonna be a little marine cesspool

11. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I use 25L buckets with loose clear perspex sheet for the lid & a air line with no air stone which bubbles very slowly. I add left over newly hatched bbs to the bucket after feeding the coral. When I do a water change I keep the water for the bbs hatchery. I feed (enrich) the bbs nanochloropsis (phyto plankton) & sometimes hard boild egg yoke, most of the adults are about 18mm which the fish love. Those books NJ posted are very helpful I use them myself.
    It's simple to run.

Cheers
    Michael

12. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

They look like good books specially the second one.
    Where do you get the nanochloropsis (phyto plankton) is it something like brightwells phyto plankton?
    How high are the nitrates of the water you use from your water changes?
    Do you think if my water is at 20ppm nitrates I can still use it for them?

:lol:Yeah probably sounds like fun.

Do you know how well that went?

13. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Well I try to keep the parameters in check & do water changes every 2wks sometimes 3wks. Bbs are very hardy but one should keep the parameters in check anyway.
    The nanochloropsis culture I'm running is a live culture & don't want to knock any product down but I believe there's nothing better than live cultures when it comes to feeding LS.

14. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Any idea where I could get something like that?

15. chas84

chas84

I recall reading a thread here on MASA a while ago where someone mentioned they keep BS on a rooftop watertank. I can't remember who it was though, but it's one of the very well known guys here, I think from UCT. Might be @dallasg but I'm not sure, maybe one of the mods can try and find that thread?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

That would be great.

17. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

The person you looking for is @Dane.

19. Dane

Dane

Hi guys,
    Yep that was me. There really isn't much of a science to the BS culture on the roof of the zoology building. Its an ancient asbestos container that has been standing there since the dawn of time (well, almost). It only ever gets topped up with rainwater, is probably quite saline, and I guess the only "food" inputs it gets is bird poop and water bugs fall in and die. But its been going for years and years. Thats not to say that it could sustain constant and ongoing harvest tho. They just snatch a few every now and then for pracs I think.

20. Dlaria

Dlaria

If the pond was planted with suitable plants/macro algae or the algae that's on the algae scubbers and it had the brine shrimp in there, would the water perimeters be able to balance out between the brine shrimp waste and the intake of nutrients by the algae/plants?

Oh, and if you don't have much (if any) algae growing in your tank, how does it get on the algae scrubbers?

Last edited: 15 Nov 2011
  21. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

@Dane do you know what salt and how much they have in there?

Recent Posts