Brightwell, ZEOvit or Probidio - LNS

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Neil H, 28 Jan 2010.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Guys and Gals

I am interested to know who is running what additives in their so called "LNS" or "ULNS" tanks....

please post here indicating what LNS additives you are using, if you are happy with them and the basics of your filtration setup.

To my knowledge Brightwell is the easiest available, who is using this system and are you using it as per the instructions, i.e. with zeo reactor etc ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Junz

Junz

Neil,

I initially started with Prodibio Biodigest and Biotim and then moved over to MB7
    i found the MB7 didnt give me the same results as prodibio and now i have switched back to Prodibio.

i think each system is unique and MB7 may work for some and not for others. i have had my NO3 creep up since iv started with MB7

4. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Neil. I am using some of the products by Neo Zeo. I am dosing Microbacter 7 daily, but instead of the Zeolites by Neo Zeo, I am using Tunze. I just bought a pack of Neo Zeo Zeolites and will be using it soon. Instead of Biofuel, I am dosing Vodka. So far so good, my tank has very low, to no nutrients, not even a spot of Algae anywhere.
    I am also dosing the Potassium, Amino Acids, Iodine and Koral colour by Neo Zeo.

5. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

Mekaeel: could this be implemented in a smaller aqaurium? Also do you have any LPS in these systems?

6. maj

maj

tagging along as i also want to accomplish a LNS

7. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

tagging along here, ive been using MB7 , vodka, and replenish

8. lanzo

lanzo Sponsor

i have used prodibio with success but haven't tried Zeovit...yet

9. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys I am referring specifically to the ZEOvit method of LNS, but not nessicarily the use of neo Zeo..... i.e. the incorporation of a zeoliths and a zeolite reactor and NOT a DSB, so for the purposes of this discussion i am interested in peoples opinion and use of the zeo reactor, the additives used in this

Meks, how available is the neo zeo and tunze range?? i have easy access to brightwell but the others including probidio viles I honestly have never seen in shops here ? Is there a reason you do not like / have not tried the brightwell range of additional additives ? have you ever thought about dosing stability as a supliment to MB7??

Junz, do you have a zeo reactor or are you dosing with a DSB ?

come on gents i know there are others out there with the Zeo method of LNS....

10. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

Use Prodibio extensively at present.
    Results - Great but it seem like there is always something better;) (grass is always greener on the other side :) ) Was so impressed with Prodibio, we imported lots!

But we need to know the other products and ensure we stock the best, so have started to test Zeovit. Results in 3 to 6 months

Brightwell would be next. Results by the end of 2010 only

Will keep you up to date on the progress.

11. Mekaeel

Howzit Matt! Yes it can be used in a smaller system. I was running it on my Nano which has LPS. The idea is to dose half the recommended dosage for LPS. It can drop the nutrients too low and the LPS will suffer. :)

Yoh Neil, putting me in a spot here :p
    Neo Zeo and Tunze are readily available. Check with the sponsors, they should be able to help you out with what you cant find in the area.....
    I am using the additives. Currently dosing Potassium, Idoine, Amino Acids and Koral colour. I have dosed Stability in the past, it is a good product, but so far I am happy with MB7, so I will stick to it ;)

12. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Neil H, Neo Zeo is what brightwell call their range of products that are used for LNS, it includes everything including the Zeolites.:)

13. Neil H

:)
    any idea if there would be negative results by mixing neo zeo (brightwell), stability and prodbidio together ??

have you tried the Zeovit (Korallenzucht - if i am correct?)

Thanks for that Bob, i realized after reading till late last night the following

Neo Zeo is the Brightwell range which is easily available in JHB

Zeovit is the original version which is hell expensive and needs to be imported by each person.

Where does tunze fit in in the LSN gents do they have a range of products for LNS or just zeolith ????

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

does kent nitrate sponge (actually stones) not take up the same roll as any zeo media?

15. Neil H

zeo media is a type of rock, composed of a number of different minerals, there is fresh and salt water zeoliths, fresh water ones are much cheaper but cannot be used in marines .... as they strip out trace elements as well as ammonia .... assuming kent nitrate spong is a type of zeolith then i would assume the answer to be yes sweetnsour,.....

16. Mekaeel

I honestly cant see anything wrong mixing different Bacteria strains. I do however prefer to sticking to one, as I have more control that way :)
    I used the KZ Zeovit method for about 2-3 years, and I must say, it is by far the best LNS/ULNS. It is just a pity it is not readily available.

17. Adee

Adee

I'm doing the full Brightwell's Neo Zeo route, with reactor and daily bak dosing. My problem (so i'm told)...is that my mature DSB is working against the dosing regime and would take much longer to establish a true LNS as the DSB would need to "flush" all the accumalted Po4 and No3....does that make sense?

Every 2nd week i also chuck in a Prodibio ampule as well.

With this regime for about the lst 3-4 months, I'm actually getting doubtfull if i'm ever gonna get the results that I want. Maybe its just me setting the bar to high?? Also I cannot shake of cyno growing in my nursery frag tank, while my display remains clean...for this reason have not been dosing any carbon source.

Going back to NeoZeo and Brightwells, has anyone seen some links of tanks with colorfull sps (perhaps, on par with Zeovit TOTQ tanks?) using the easier available Brightwell range?

18. Adee

Adee

Why is it not readily availble this side, sponsors...care to comment?

19. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I also read the same thing, apparently the DSB needs to come out if you want to achieve a true LNS system.

20. Mekaeel

Adee, i remember Sean Harrison telling me some years back that alot was going bad because of the shelf life. Just a handful of us were using it. So it wasnt really worth bringing it in.
    We can however order directly from KZ, but then again, it works out alot when shipping etc.... is added.

21. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

The thing with a DSB in this kind of a system is that in the same way as our tanks are carbon starved and we need to add it in order to provide the Bac with C to add to P and N to give them what they need, with the DSB you are also removing nitrates so now they are N starved even if you give them all the C in the world.;)

Recent Posts