Bright red algea on rocks only. Help please!

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by shafiq1, 21 Jan 2012.

1. shafiq1

shafiq1

Hi.

I need help combating this bright red carpet algea that is only growing on my rocks. Going to start using np pellets in my reactor and have reduced my lighting hours down to 5 hours. Tank was looking lovely and out of nowhere pop.

This is a second hand system that i purchased in october. System has been running since then. This bloom started in late december and is really a worry.
    Dont wanna loose what i have.

Gonna try and upload a pic

Note: all creature in the tank where gifts so no judging

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

4. rakabos

rakabos

Well have you tested your water parameters? Bad algae can be a result of lotsa things including high phosphates.

Whats your filtration system like, skimmer, reactors etc

Pull off as much as you can, do a big waterchange (to bring nutrients down).

5. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

6. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

tried pulling it off but no luck. thinking of scrubbing the rocks.

overflow packed from bottom to top. oolite coarse about 5cm high, bioballs all the way up and last but not least 2 filter pads.

sump. i current have my skimmer in only. reactor is bening cleaned and will be installed once and np pellts have arrived. pics to follow. no idea on the make and specs as yet not a home at the moment

last when i tested my water at the lfs they said it was all good but i dont trust them. early december. what test kits do you recomend and please check if the parameters below are acceptable as a reference.

pH - 8.2 to 8.4
    Salinity - 1.023 to 1.026 (or 30.5 to 34.5 Specific Gravity (SG))
    Calcium - 380-420
    Alkalinity - 6 to 9 dKh (ideally 6.5 to 8.5 dKH) NSW levels
    Magnesium - 1300 to 1350 Iodine - 0.04 to 0.06
    Strontium - 8ppm or 8mg/l (NSW levels)
    Potassium (K+) - 380-420
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - less than 5​
    Phosphate - less than 0.01 Ammonia - 0

7. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

8. belindamotion

I have the same on one of my rocks...I scrubbed it with a tooth brush and nothing happened...I don't have anywhere else in my Tank except on this rock...got my "cyano" to slowly but surely dissapear, but not the "Red Velvet"....it's not getting less and neither is it spreading...actually it's also not growing either...:confused1:
    [​IMG]

9. crispin

crispin

hello shafiq1, welcome to masa I dont think ive welcomed you before.

to be honest i am not certain what the primary problem in here. It could be cyano bacteria (called red slime algae) or possibly red cotton algae (also called red velvet algae on some forums), its difficult to tell from the pics.

either way its a nutrient issue with something going strongly out of ballance in that system. the fact that it was recently moved (October is not that long ago in a tanks history) and something has crashed with regards to converting the nutrients in the system.

As said above do water changes religeously now. Id recommend 20% a week and dont miss a week. I would also suggest mixing the water the night before and add a small heater to the bucket so that its at correct temp when you do the water change. Just remeber to turn it OFF before you take water out the bucket. I would also blow the rock work with a powerhead just before you remove the old water so as to loosen any detritus stuck in the rock work. Then siphon the rocks closely as you remove the water.

do you have a RO filter and a refractometer to mix your own salt water?

Do you ever use tap water?

'
    Aside from water changers you can also:
    dose with a decent brand of bacterial sollution. Microbac7 from brightwell, or seachems stability would help.
    Add a phosphate remover in a reactor if possible, Rowaphos is a possibility.
    Get the N&P pellets goping, but be warned there is an excess of nutrient in the system and starting up with a pellet routine might be challenging if you dont know what you are doing.

If its red cotton algae you could try introduce true mexican turbo snails, one of the gauteng sponsors probably has them, id suggest emailing Dory Pets, Idol Marines or Pet stop and see what they have.

Personally i am not a fan of ceramic noodles in a sump as a long term filtration method for a reef tank. I would hazard a guess that might be a source of saturated filter material that maybe leaking nutrient back into the system. Think about removing them a handful at a time or so.

this is beatable but from the look of the tank you will have to be dilligent and work hard fpor it to turn around and its NOT a quick two week sollution, it will take time to get that tank looking good again. but doable:)

10. crispin

crispin

often thats die off within the rock which is slowly leaching nutrient out feeding the algae. its a contained source as opposed to freely available in the water collumn (as i fear is the case here) but slowly it should start to deplete as nutrient is consumed. Note though its worth removing by hand the algae as it grows (harvesting as such) so as to export the nutrient from that LR

11. belindamotion

[​IMG]

I couldn't help noticing...is that "green circled" section Aiptasia...? You might want to get rid of them as soon as possible....
    [​IMG]
    Aiptasia
    Aipatasia

Chemical Control of Aiptasia - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Is the "pink circled" section a Nennie...? I could be mistaken...if it is can you please read the Links regarding the care of a Nennie...you'r Tank is only 4months running...?
    A Beginner's Guide to Keeping Anemones - Anemones

Last edited: 21 Jan 2012
  12. crispin

crispin

lol belinda i spotted those too, but i think this reefer has his hands full enough with the algae not to worry about aptasia. I personally dont think this tank should have that nennie either, especially in its current state in the hands of an inexperienced reefer, but for now i think getting the water parameters under controll are enough to worry about and the nennie will benifit from that as well :)

but i do agree, not great to see a nennie in a recently moved tank thats battling the way it is.

13. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

A BETTER VIEW ON MY FILTERATION .
    [​IMG]
    ADDING SMALLER ROUND BIO BALLS SOON ALSO. ON ORDER. ON TOP I HAVE TWO FILTER PAD AND A SMALL SACK OF OOLITE TO HELP SPREED THE WATER THROUGH THE BIO BALLS.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

The above pic is the latest one on my sump. Notice the better filteration bellida. On the top i have 2 filter pads again. Ordered rowaphos also after reading up a bit more on it. My idea is to run the np pellets in the reactor, which is a reeftek phr 100. I have plumber the exit of the reactor to the 1st chamber where the skimmer sits. The rowaphos will we sacked and placed in the pipe that brings water to the sump. This way the water will flow through it and not around it. Will aggetaite the sack every 2nd day.

15. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

I never add tap water to my tank. Only r/o water. This gets added into my tank via my auto top up system.

Apatasia are been taken care off. Zapping them. Just abit hard to get them once they have retracted.

16. shafiq1

shafiq1 Thread Starter

I was dosing seachem stability but it got finished.
    Will start dosing once i have. Was thinking of dosing seachem stability and prodi bio digest together what to you recommend crispin,

oh and about the nennie. I got it as a gift from the wife. Didn't want it but who can fight with their partner over that.

Recent Posts