Bright red algae

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Discovered this bright red algae under one of my overhanging liverock last night.

I don't see any hair growing from it.

Does not look like slym either.

Any suggestions as to what it could be? Good / Bad

Sorry could not get a good pic of it.

Tx

I was going to start guessing and then realised, it could be a whole bunch of things. Need a pic.

If its not slimey then probably good.

Is it growing like a layer of carpet? As bob mentioned, need a pic.

I will try get a pic this afternoon. Tried this morning, but because is under the rock, bad lighting.

Could look like carpet growing.

Will have a closer look later on when I get back home.

I had the same in my tank on some of my rocks, it's looks and feels like velvet, no idea what it is though.

Hi Guys any further comments on this as I have lotsa this "red velvet algae" and want to know if its good, bad or ugly?

My tank appart from this is in prestine cond and water Mv 380 - 420 depending on activity eg feeding etc etc.

I find it **** because no coral fixing putty/glue will afix corals onto areas where this algae is?!?

Martin,

Have a look at this. Seems to be the closest resemblance ?

Algae Page

If this is correct it is in fact a cyanobacteria species, which from Googling it appears to have a peptide toxin which acts as an irritant to the skin of humans.

No information I could find however relating to its presence or effect in the reef tank.

Shot thanks

IOW (in other words) I will keep running huge amounts of phos remover and my algae "scrubber" and Cheato will need to be closely maintained.

Cheers

Yip.

Couldn't find anything to indicate that the presence of this type Cyano is detrimental to the health of the general reef, but good to be vigilant in any case.

If it is indeed the red Oscillatoria species , I would just be a bit cautious when putting your hands in the tank. From the articles I've read Oscillatoria do release a fairly potent toxin which in some cases will cause more than just a rash . All sorts of nasty complications could result.......

But let's not jump the gun here. It may also be a fairly harmless strain .

BTW : The only way to erradicate this type of Cyano is by means of using antibiotics such as erithromycin.

Perhaps Hennie (Reef Maniac) can shed some more light on this ?

apollo, i dont believe that algae is the one we have. its much redder, and cyano easily blows off. this stuff is growing on a rock right infront of a 15000lph wavemaker. so i doubt its cyano. i've had cyano before and this doesnt look the same to me

Back
Top Bottom