Bretts tank

Reaction score
I have a tank of similar size, 850 high x 830 wide x 550 deep. My depth is quite a bit more. The depth and correct lighting has been a challenge, I currently run a 150W MH with 2 x 24w T5's, am upgrading in the near future. The problem I forsee you having is spacing a reef with your depth, my depth of 550 has allowed me to aquascape quite high and still be able to keep Zoo's and softies at substrate level with some SPS on top.
new.jpg

Hi Brett, would you like me to move you to create your own thread?

Welcome to masa by the way

Thanks Wee-man. I just wanted to give an idea of what I achieved with the same amount of vertical space. I recently re-aquascaped the tank (hence the sterile look) for this exact reason as previously everything was stacked on the bottom.

Thanks Viper!

masahello BRETT

Very Very nice tank there, I really like the look of it

I have a tank of similar size, 850 high x 830 wide x 550 deep. My depth is quite a bit more. The depth and correct lighting has been a challenge, I currently run a 150W MH with 2 x 24w T5's, am upgrading in the near future. The problem I forsee you having is spacing a reef with your depth, my depth of 550 has allowed me to aquascape quite high and still be able to keep Zoo's and softies at substrate level with some SPS on top.
new.jpg
Nice tank, I have the same sort of size 800 x 800 x 650. I like the reef, using all that height. I really need to change mine

Thanks folks.

Here are a couple of shots of the rest of my setup.........chiller and UPS in cabinet in bathroom next door.
chiller_power.jpg

sump_full.jpg

Brett, i stuck a link onto the other tank thread, so show your design, thanks for that, kind of you.

And now the engine room pictures....good man:thumbup:

I'm impressed, really nice and neat setup. How long has the tank been running and what computer are you running there?

Thanks again Viper. Tank is coming up for almost three years now, the current setup with the new aquascaping has been running for a month now. This photo taken a month ago, 1 week afterwards.

The controller I am running is an AquaMedic AT - it's almost exactly the same as the Aquatronica.

Thanks Wee-man. I just wanted to give an idea of what I achieved with the same amount of vertical space. I recently re-aquascaped the tank (hence the sterile look) for this exact reason as previously everything was stacked on the bottom.

Thanks Viper!

I notice you seem to have some plumbing at the lower level of the reef. Is this to create a cave or CLS ?

The invertor make is a Perfect Power 1100watt, I bought if from Outdoor Warehouse I think. I am then running a Deltec 120Ah deep cycle battery with a CTEK charger, this gives me 12 hours on my OR3500 return pump, it also runs the heaters in Winter (The longest power fail in winter thus far has been 5 hours and it went fine). One modification I am making today (thanks Eskom) is to run an air stone into the first compartment in my sump, this will only kick in when the power fails to add additional oxygen to the tank as the skimmer pump will draw to much power.

The bottom plumbing in the tank serves as both, a CLS intake and rock shelf.......I wanted as little rock on the substrate as possible.
new_cls.jpg

Brett, that is one seriously neat set up. Really well done there:thumbup:

to meany people's tanks is a clutter of wires and things this is how it should look like nice and neat very well dont i like it alot or you look at somones tank and the first thing you see is a ugly sump with things haning from it

one day when i grow up i also want such a neat setup! ps. do you run a DSB brett? couldn't really see from the pics... cheers

Thanks all for the kind comments! Punk I am not running a DSB, I don't have any room left. As it is I hardly have a sump (2 compartments only). My Nitrates currently run at about 2.5, the last 2 things I would like to do with my setup is to upgrade the lighting to a 250W MH with 4xT5's and then run a small De-nitrifyer - I am busy building the de-nitrifyer as a bought one will not fit, I will use deniballs with a MV probe with my AT controller to regulate this.

The reason I needed the setup to be neat and tidy (not to mention quiet) is due to it's location at my bar which is open plan with the living area in our house. It's the only location I have - hopefully one day I will have my dream tank:(
Tank_bar2.jpg

tank_bar.jpg

Back
Top Bottom