Brett's automated reef

Discussion in 'uncategorised' started by brettb2020, 9 Jun 2010.

1. brettb2020

brettb2020

Its been a while since iv been on masa. its good to be back!

just taking a quick squiz through the forums, its awsome to see how many tanks have flourished since iv last seen them.

Now.. the reason iv been away is because I took part in an industrial automation competition. took about 6 months to build and we presented recently and were awarded first prize. From this I have industrial automation equipment coming out of my ears. PLC's, HMI's, sensors.. you name it.

with that said, Im upgrading my tank and I am going to be automating it.

my new tank size will be roughly 1200x700x700 10mm thick, centre overflow, with euro bracing. euro bracing necessary for these dims?

been getting some quotes on the glass and still deciding whether to use starfire. its just less that triple the price of standard. think its worth it?

lighting im still deciding. but it will be dimmable to simulate sunrise/sunset. either LEDs or T5 with MH running on dimmable ballasts.

filtration: probably a DIY skimmer, you know me... live rock, DSB, chaeto, carbon reactor, rowa-phos reactor, calcium reactor.

flow: any 24v flow pumps so i can control them nicely with the plc. going to also attempt a DIY wave box.

and now for a brief discription on the automation.

il be using a siemens s7-200 plc. alone it has 14 digital inputs, 10 digital outputs and 2 analog inputs and output. expandable up 100 inputs and outputs. has up to 256 timers and a real time clock. i also have an internet module so i can control and monitor my tank over the web.

i have a 6" touch screen HMI to communicate with with the system.

i want this tank fool proof so if i go away nothing can go wrong. il have pressure and flow switches in various parts of the tank just to monitor for and blockages or bursts etc.

thats it for now =)

the HMI
    [​IMG]

the PLC
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 10 Jun 2010
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Ya sounds cool man. Better than the small convo we had the other day. I don't think starfire for everythin. Maybe just the front glass? Or the sides too? Whats the diff between the glasses again? Just the viewing? Or strength too? But yes euro bracin will be necessary
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. brettb2020

brettb2020 Thread Starter

now thats a flippin good idea!! just for the front and sides! starfire is just alot more clear than standard. not stronger though. shot dude:)

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

nice

sounds like you know wht ur doin dude, much respect on your setup, must have taken alot of thinking power :thumbup: alot of equipment is hi tech tough, if salt water attacks ur mega touch screen controller thingy, u will have alot of :037: and then some, i think your plumbing should be very carefully planned but i think u know more than i do, best of luck dude

6. lIghty

lIghty

Sounds awesome Brett, and congrats on 1st prize!

Could you advise on how you are planning the automation etc, you know thats just up my ally, also let me know if you wanting to get rid of some of the equip! I would be really interested!
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice one dude.. congrats on the award,,

as scooba:) said, its only necessary to do the viewing panes in starfire it would be an expensive unecesary waste to do the rest if they are to be covered.

definatley euro brace in 10mm in that size...especially with a wavebox as it will tax the seams with the repeated rocking motion.. either way rather safe than sorry...

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

WOW Brett! This really sounds fantastic! Really AWESOME TOYS you have there! According to lIghty's post - you have WON in the competition! CONGRATS mate!

I would LOVE to see how this works out. Watching this thread with anticipation!

9. Boegie

Boegie

Nice toys.

10. brettb2020

thanks guys :thumbup:

lol lighty knew you would ask :)

temperature: plc will cycle through the heater or chiller depending on the temp. will use a temp probe connected to a op amp circuit to get 0-10v value for the plc.

pH: voltage from the probe will be amplified before entering the plc where it will be scaled as the voltage from the probe is not linear.

still thinking whether i should put an ORP probe too..

lighting: will be using dimmable ballasts using 0-10v from the plc to simulate sunrise sunset. will have some moon light LED's and lightning LED's :)

feeding of pellets will be done by the touch of a button or automatically.

dosing of supplements i also want to automate with dose pumps.

on the HMI i will have a model of the tank and the sump with all equipment inplace on the screen. if i want to control a individual piece of equipment manually, i just touch it and the settings will come up.

for example: if i touch one of the flow pumps on the screen, a screen will pop up where i can switch it on and off and adjust speed.

the plc has 256 timers and a real time clock which i will use to schedule water changes, reminders for dosing, feeding, lighting etc.

talking of water changes, il get that done semi automatically. obviously i have to mix the water etc.. there will be a drain valve at the bottom of the tank controlled by the plc. one day when i have a space for massive tanks outside maybe a can fully automate it.

pressure sensors will placed in the main tank and sump to measure head pressure to display the exact level of the tanks. this will also be used to ensure no overflowing happens due to a blocked pipe or something and auto topup etc. i will also be able to measure the specific gravity of the water with a known head hight.

there will be light sensors to ensure lights are on and in good condition.

with all the these sensors i can see whats happening in my tank without opening the sump doors or even looking at it. its all about piece of mind.

some may think this is overboard and i may be creating more things to go wrong but the equipment i am using is used to automate massive machines in industry and people trust them with there lives. they are designed to work in very corrosive environments.
    besides, i am really going to enjoy doing this!

with that said can anyone think of anything else to automate?

11. Pads

Pads

Sounds awesome dude, I've been think about a controller for a while, following with interest on how you progress ;)

12. brettb2020

thanks pads! your tank is looking good so far! you built you tank really well! the silicone is so neat! i would like to put my tank together by myself aswell. maybe I could get a few tips from you when i get there. still deciding on black or clear silicone

13. Pads

Pads

thx, DIY is the way forward! Working with the Black silicone is a messy business and there are a few methods to use, lemme know if you wanna chat.

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Congrats on the win Brett :thumbup:

Just my input, my new tank is 1200Lx600Wx700H and made from 12mm glass and euro braced at the top also with 12mm glass, 60mm wide. My sides still flex 1mm.
    I would be too paranoid with 10mm :p

15. scubaninja

scubaninja

then again my 2m was 750h*700w and 10mm:whistling: Maybe your a softie:lol: haha pun not intended

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Brett, on that size tank the glass calculator gives a recommendation of 12.7mm glass on a water height of 680mm - thats without euro bracing. I would do 12mm glass with euro bracing, but that's just me, at least I'll sleep better :)

17. brettb2020

thanks for the heads up guys. was playing with the calculator last night and also realised i need thicker glass. was also doing some measuring of the place it will be sitting and it seems i may have to make it slightly smaller anyway.

should have the final size soon:)

18. amalick

amalick

Tagging along, since automation is up my alley as well. I sometimes think I enjoy it more than my reef since I spend more time in my engine room than in front of my tank.

Did you consider monitoring the state of your pumps to ensure that they are within normal operating limits. I believe there are sensors that relay that type of information. I saw them at Electromechanica.

I would also assume that you could go with plenty of controlled solenoids to control things like CO2, Kalkwasser , Auto Top ups, RO Production, Salt Mixing etc..

I'm probably off topic but have you ever thought of ..
    1) A self cleaning skimmer ?
    2) An automatic glass cleaner (much like a swimming pool Kreepy Crawly)

19. brettb2020

ya definitely going to have a couple soliniods and dosing pumps taking care of the stuuf you mentioned.

iv thought about the self cleaning skimmer.. was thinking of using water jets like the huge ones at ushaka. but an automatic glass cleaner.. hmmm.. that could be interesting.. maybe a gantry that moves a wiper across the glass every so often.

i have the electromechanica catalog at home.. will take a look at those sensors you mentioned.

20. amalick

amalick

No, No a lot simpler than that..

I was thinking of a motorized magnetic thingy outside the glass with a normal glass cleaning magnet on the inside

The motorized thingy (think of a toy car) would bump into side stoppers and change direction accordingly, run on batteries and some sort of a timer

Hope I'm making sense...

We can back on topic now, if you like

21. brettb2020

lol amalick this is on topic :) but i get what you saying. lets see what i can do..

Recent Posts