Brent's Cube

Nice

No, but you've bought up a good point JG. I've had wrasse jump to their demize. The clowns I've had since early 2019 and they are fine. I've ordered Alu profile to make a frame for a screen. Next mission is to find some screen

Hi @brentch did you get the aluminium profile? Got any pics and mind sharing where you got it? Thanks

I got it from Maizeys, its the same stuff they use for frames. It's their standard one that they use. I don't remember off hand now...
Thanks, I'll go have a look. What did you use for the screen/net? Seems tricky to find.

Found a coolaroo one. I've been looking for the type they use on BRS. Thought the mosquito screens would block too much light. Did you find that it effected your light in the tank much?

Last edited:
Found a coolaroo one. I've been looking for the type they use on BRS. Thought the mosquito screens would block too much light. Did you find that it effected your light in the tank much?
I run my lights at lower intensity so I adjusted by eye. None of my current fish jump so I've actually just removed it for now. Once I have another wrasse I'll put it back up and raise intensity again by about 10%. I haven't tested so this is a complete thumb suck

I haven't done a NSW water change in a while, but with the warm oceanic water pushed in close today and at 24 degrees I know it's the clean stuff from the deep. Decided to throw 75l into the system to give it a bit of an inoculation. Sure I'll see a few new stars, pods, worms etc and other funny things in the tank in the coming days and weeks. Amazing how the corals react immediately. Even more so than the synthetic salt mix. I might just make the effort to do this a little more often.

IMG_20211121_204237.jpg

IMG_20211121_204648.jpg

IMG_20211121_204905.jpg

First impessions of the light...

Build quality: Well built, with quality components for the light unit. The switch is okay, and the power supply seems similar to the zetlight power supplies and feels a bit cheaper than the AI and echo tech power packs. The steel casing surely won't last as long in a corrosive environment? Second gripe is the cable. Nice thick cable, but far too short! Even MY small AI prime has a much longer cable. For me this means the power box cannot fit in my cabinet. I am going to have to make a plan for this now. Really not too that happy about this. Mounting brakets and hanging kit are quality and all components are SS.

Lighting ability: I don't have a PAR meter, but based on the LED combo it seems to pack a really good punch. The mixing is way better than I thought it would be. Zero discoball effect. Some shimmer seen but not as much as the hydras and other point source lights. Certainly more shimmer than I was expecting, and definitely not as "flat" as T5. Spread from end to end was great, however the light cone seems a bit narrow, definitely not 120 degrees as advertised. This light does not have asuch pop as the blue sky, but I prefer this as the depth of color seems better with the shorter wavelength LEDS. Really love how they highlight purples and reds really well. The single light does not overpower my white preference ony hydras, something I am really happy with. Fluorescence is amazing and if you're looking for pop this is your light for sure.

Would I buy again/another one? Yes, definitely. 8/10. Improvements on light spread would be great, and the cable could be a meter longer.

Back
Top Bottom