Brent's Cube

IMG_20190929_203646.jpg

IMG_20190929_203037.jpg

It's been a little while.... I've changed a few things since the last post. I have removed the aragonite from my display. It was so full of detritus and slowed the flow around the bottom of the tank. It doesn't look as nice as the aragonite right now, but ive started growing some coral on the floor.

My coral coloring has improved a bit since moving over to the aquaforest stuff. It's not that it's any better than red sea in my opinion. They are just more clever in making it much easier to get the dosing right as they show explicitly how to ensure you don't overdose the minor trace elements. Anyway, I am happy so far with how things are going.

I also bought lanthanum chloride to dose for phosphates. I'm three days in and impressed at how drastically it can remove phosphate. Definitely a product I'll be using from now on.

Here's an update on that Cualastrea that I was nursing. It seems to have made a good recovery. The polyp on the other side is doing okay, but it's shaded a bit so I'll prob cut it off and stick it somewhere else.

I'll do a full update once we've won the world cup

Looks beautiful man! Sand is so overrated! :011: I have to say that the led has definitely changed this tank for the better judging by your pictures. What products of AF are you using on the tank?

Your nano looks really nice man! Are those bolts still holding up properly? I want to do an overhead refugium (40x20x20) above a planned frag tank, and looking for some ideas to neatly have it secure.

Your nano looks really nice man! Are those bolts still holding up properly? I want to do an overhead refugium (40x20x20) above a planned frag tank, and looking for some ideas to neatly have it secure.
Just checked, yes everything holding up fine. No visible rust, no slumping or pulling on the frame away from the wall. I know this as I painted the wall and the foam between the cabinet and the wall. The paint hasn't cracked or warped at all, so I'm confident it hasn't moved even 1mm.

Make sure you use decent expansion bolts. Check the tensile and shear strength of the size you want to use and make sure you have a massive safety factor. I have used 6 Eureka M8 bolts.

Just checked, yes everything holding up fine. No visible rust, no slumping or pulling on the frame away from the wall. I know this as I painted the wall and the foam between the cabinet and the wall. The paint hasn't cracked or warped at all, so I'm confident it hasn't moved even 1mm.

Make sure you use decent expansion bolts. Check the tensile and shear strength of the size you want to use and make sure you have a massive safety factor. I have used 6 Eureka M8 bolts.
That's great news. Thanks I'll keep the M8 bolts on my list

I did some more DIY today, and got the cupboard together. Conduit and the rest to still do, but it's coming along nicely. I'm excited to get dosing this new aquaforest three part.

I'll run the pipes through Conduit to the tank, I think it should look quite neat.

I'll update tomorrow.

Ive missed alot. This looks awesome. NOICE...........

Looooong needed update. Sorry guys.

What is your KH consumption at the moment?
18ml/day AF component (I mix my own; doing a 2X conc [double the bicarb]). The Ca and Mg components and all the trace elements are still the same. Not sure why my alk is chowed at double the rate of the other components. possibly the drop in pH at night?

Finally. Photo updates. I was going to wait till I cleaned the tank this week, but after cleaning the glass today I thought things were looking quite nice.

December was quite a stuff up for me as the tank topped 29 degrees on three occasions. I had bleaching of my Faviids and Euphylliids, and to a lesser degree most of the other corals. I installed a fan, and that did the job perfectly. My tank never went over 27.5 after that.

About three months ago my dragonette jumped out the tank. I think it was out of the water for half an hour to an hour as it had dried out. It was lying still and I thought it wa dead. I saw it's gill plate move ever so slightly. I immediately put it in the tank and it sunk to the floor upside down and lay there for over an hour, just its operculum moving. The next day when the lights turned on he was back to normal, as if nothing had happened. Unfortunately this week he did the same trick, but he had been out the tank overnight and the ants had started eating him. I now don't have any fish in the tank, and the pod life is exploding!

My tank is now about one year and 1 or two months old. I'm quite happy with how things have gone, but I've got a two neusance hitchhikers; bubble algae and a bit of briopsis. They've been in the tank for a few months now, but my tank is fairly stable, and they haven't spread much, so I'm happy for now.

I'm moving house soon. We'll atleast once all this Corona disease subsides.

Pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_202841.jpg
    IMG_20200328_202841.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200328_194758.jpg
    IMG_20200328_194758.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20200328_194618.jpg
    IMG_20200328_194618.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 52
Back