Brent's Cube

Very awesome light that! Im keen to see how your tank reacts.... And whether you will be able to run it at 100% eventually... I suspect 100% might be too much.

Eish, exact same thing happened to me when I was setting up my radions, so I also have a burnt couch :m85:
Vijay, I couldn't believe it. I My wife was sitting on the other couch and asked me "eey, I'm sure I can smell something burning?" I said "na, must be the neighbors" :m15: :m28:

Very awesome light that! Im keen to see how your tank reacts.... And whether you will be able to run it at 100% eventually... I suspect 100% might be too much.
I recon maybe 60% will be a good target, but I think at those levels I'll be getting around 350 PAR at the top, so I recon I won't be able to push it too much more than that. I'll update you when I see how the first month goes...

Awesome @brentch very nice! i have the same mount, word of caution the lights can slip out of that mount with a small bump, mine landed in my tank a few months ago! i have added some cable ties to prevent this from happening again it was an extremely expensive mistake. LOL's for the burns i nearly blinded myself test my light got way to excited when i installed it. tank is look incredible BTW

Awesome @brentch very nice! i have the same mount, word of caution the lights can slip out of that mount with a small bump, mine landed in my tank a few months ago! i have added some cable ties to prevent this from happening again it was an extremely expensive mistake. LOL's for the burns i nearly blinded myself test my light got way to excited when i installed it. tank is look incredible BTW
Hey Dane, thanks for the heads-up up buddy, I am sorry you lost your first unit, yeoh that sucks! Please could you post a Pic of your fix with the cable ties? I am keen to avoid having my unit go for a swim!

Last edited:
So guess what happens at nine pm on a Sunday night?!?! My BTA decides to start moving around... Then I notice something else... My BTA IS NOW THREE BTAs!!! I thought to myself, now is my gap to remove these godless creatures from my tank. I've always wanted a BTA, but now that I know the nature of these creatures, I'm cool with not having them. They need so much space, and need a well established tank, just too much for my size tank. I am sure that they split when I changed my lights yesterday. It's just too much of a coincidence.

Anyway, I quite easily removed the first two pieces from the tank, they peeled right off using my fingers.... but the problem came with the third....

Jeez what a stuff up! The foot of clone number three was holding on down a hole in the LR. I tried to get it out with tweezers but I just couldn't. Eventually I took the less ethical route and I pulled out a scalpel I have in my dissection kit and proceeded to cut out small bits of the last nennie clone. The water began turning slightly milky and I just new things were getting desperate. A full ten minutes of bending butter knives to fit in holes, and cutting out corals as collateral damage, I managed to get the last clone out. It was toast, and I bid the fellow farewell as I flushed the toilet. Back to the tank... I decided to do a 50% water change immediately. I quickly mixed up salt and did the water change. I also changed out my carbon and gfo in my mini reactor.

My wife has now had to deal with a burnt couch, an emotional drunkard after yesterday's rugby, and now bent cutlery, all in one weekend.

Frantic salt mixing

Now I'm on the couch watching the water slowly turn clear again as the dust settles. Let's see what a new week brings.

I'm hoping the tank survives the night.....

Last edited:
And this is what I woke up to... A far more natural looking tank, with amazing shimmer and colour.

I have set my light acclimation for one month. I will ramp the overall intensity from 33 to 100 percent over that time... So for example, if my blue channel has been set for 50% during midday, my acclimation mode will start on day one at 16.5 percent, and increase it to 50% in 30 days time. I can change the time of acclimation, and the intensity change I'd like it to ramp up by... Total functionality!
Now that's a beauty! Love your tank. Also like the fact that you cant see the other OW10. Do you have a side shot where its mounted?

So the tank survived the night. Nothing harmed. It looks as though I got the whole animal out the hole. Other two nennies are happy chilling in their bucket. Now I can populate the top of my tank with pretty acros! Anyone have strawberry shortcake acropora?
What a relief! Dont think I would have been able to sleep! Especially with a tank that is just doing so great.

What a relief! Dont think I would have been able to sleep! Especially with a tank that is just doing so great.
Ya I can see that all these changes are starting to have a negative effect on my Acropora. This month alone I've changed up 1. Salt bran,
2.flow, I've added another pump.
3.increased flow has moved sand and exposed a few anoxic areas. I am almost sure it's the reason I had a pH and alkalinity drop by 1dkh and 0.3pH over a week.
4. The pump has also in turn has slightly raised temp by. 5 to 1 degree. Not too much of a problem now, but I need to wire a fan to my stc Controller
4. Removing the anemone caused an adition of I don't know what, but it was a milky substance, and it wasn't great for my tank. I've seen a few sting/burn marks on my sps. No RTN or bleaching though.
5. My nennie was stinging my corals before I removed it and this killed one of my favorite Acros.. It was small but it was unique and it had started colouringg up nicely. In combination to the removal of the nennie, this dying Acro added some nasty stuff to the water.

Anyway, I had so many commitments this long weekend that I just left the tank to do its own thing. @Mike Schutte was kind enough to rehome my nennies. Super grateful to go to a someone close by who has an established enough tank to house an anemone. They're both healthy and enjoying their new home.
IMG-20190924-WA0001.jpg

I got two new frags of zoas today as well.
IMG_20190924_144709.jpg

IMG_20190924_144548.jpg

I also changed my light settings two days ago, specifically the acclimation intensity. I initially started the acclimation at 33 percent, but I noticed it was just too dull, and I suspected my corals were getting significantly less PAR than the zetlight. So I turned the starting acclimation percentage to 50 percent. It now looks closer to the zetlight. I'm happy for it to ramp up over the next month from this point...

I'm also looking at going bare bottom in the very near future. Hmmmm... Decisions.

Slow and steady..... Its just so hard to do things slowly.... well in my case my budget forces me to do things slowly so i guess that may be a blessing in disquise! Hope your tank revovers quickly, Im sure a couple weeks and water changes and everything will settle down again. That 2nd batch of Zoas are soooo cool!

Thanks Peter, yes the rusty red and yellow variety is fricken epic. My favorite zoas so far!

So here's this evening's photo. I'm really enjoying the colors that the new light give.
IMG_20190924_200656.jpg

IMG_20190924_203459.jpg

Notice the gap at the top. Time to fill it with Acros!

Now I've got my trusty ZE1201 just sitting around.
IMG_20190924_202749.jpg

Time to start planning my mangrove/frag tank...

So my Calastrea seems to be recovering really nicely.

Before
IMG_20190912_121910.jpg

After
IMG_20190924_144328.jpg

Before
IMG_20190912_121810.jpg

After
IMG_20190924_144431.jpg

The tank seems tk be responding nicely to the lights now and everything seems to be settling back down. I've noticed coral growth has picked up again.

Attachments

• IMG_20190912_121910.jpg
    IMG_20190912_121910.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20190912_121810.jpg
    IMG_20190912_121810.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20190912_121910.jpg
    IMG_20190912_121910.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20190912_121810.jpg
    IMG_20190912_121810.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 57
The world's most difficult to photograph fish. This little fish is so cryptic, I often only notice her after a few minutes of watching my tank. I only see amphipods every so often now, but this fish is always fed and happy, so I can only assume she can't eat her way through the whole invert community in the tank. I have added clowns and a banggai cardinal before, but they either die or jump through the fish screen. So it looks as though this is the only fish I can successfully keep. Maybe I'll try a prawn goby in the future, but I like corals more, so I'm not too concerned with fish right now.

IMG_20190928_104528.jpg

IMG_20190928_104033.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom