Brent's Cube

Did you only do blobs of slicone to hold them together?

Won't the next silicone stuggle to stick to that?

@Whoknows I'm not sure, I've done it before and seen a few youtube videos using this method. I assume it would, but maybe not?

Did you only do blobs of slicone to hold them together?

Won't the next silicone stuggle to stick to that?
@Whoknows, I did some reading and you're right! Silicone will not chemically stick or "weld" to cured silicone. It will stick to it, but not in a way that would be mechanically strong as a single continuous bead. However, provided it is done correctly, it should still allow for a good seal.

Last edited:
@Whoknows, I did some reading and you're right! Silicone will not chemically stick or "weld" to cured silicone. It will stick to it, but not in a way that would be mechanically strong as a single continuous bead. However, provided it is done correctly, it should still allow for a good seal.
Thank you. I didn't know it would stick at all. I'm going to give this method a try on my next build, from my understanding its the inside silicone that actually holds the water in so one continuous bead there will be beneficial.

Waiting to see you get this set up. Sure its going to look amazing :m106:

** edit. What acatone are you using?

Last edited:
So I got the tank building going today!
I spent a lot of time cleaning the panes with acetone with gloves on so to ensure no oils get on the panes. Then I taped the edges and another clean with acetone. Next I put all the panes together, spacing the panes with 2mm tile spacers...

Tomorrow I pull out the tile spacers and finish injecting silicone into the spaces.

Very happy with the dimensions of the tank now that it's together! Excited to get it done and on the stand!
Looking ood..what are the dimensions of this tank?

Thank you. I didn't know it would stick at all. I'm going to give this method a try on my next build, from my understanding its the inside silicone that actually holds the water in so one continuous bead there will be beneficial.

Waiting to see you get this set up. Sure its going to look amazing :m106:

** edit. What acatone are you using?
If the tank was smaller I'd have just glued it all in one shot, but the panes are heavy and I had to add quite a few spacers. If you can get away with completing one continuous silicone bead while keeping a decent amount of silicone between panes then rsther do that. I found for someone with limited experience, this worked for me and my basic skill level (well the proof will be in a dry floor I hope)...

I used powafix acetone, and did at least two full wipe downs of each pane, followed by taping, followed by another two wipe downs on the areas that would be siliconed. I used a new piece of Carlton roll for each wipe down and wore nitrile gloves so as not to get oils from my hands in the glass.

If the tank was smaller I'd have just glued it all in one shot, but the panes are heavy and I had to add quite a few spacers. If you can get away with completing one continuous silicone bead while keeping a decent amount of silicone between panes then rsther do that. I found for someone with limited experience, this worked for me and my basic skill level (well the proof will be in a dry floor I hope)...

I used powafix acetone, and did at least two full wipe downs of each pane, followed by taping, followed by another two wipe downs on the areas that would be siliconed. I used a new piece of Carlton roll for each wipe down and wore nitrile gloves so as not to get oils from my hands in the glass.
Thank you. Tile spaces are a great idea too. I won't be able to do mine in one go either. Its even bigger then yours :lol:
It looks good so far. How long before you fill it?

Thank you. :m106:

Thank you. Tile spaces are a great idea too. I won't be able to do mine in one go either. Its even bigger then yours :lol:
It looks good so far. How long before you fill it?

Thank you. :m106:
I've read that silicone cures at the rate of 1mm per day, and reaches its full strength in 7 days. It's hot and humid here in Durban, so sure it'll be ready to test next weekend.

Hey @Ridwaan! 900l x 400h x 550w. Bit of a random choice of dimensions but it works well for my vision of a shallow reef and considering the use of 2 x hydra 26s. I could put Acros anywhere in the tank and have optimum PAR...
Makes perfect sense....

I've read that silicone cures at the rate of 1mm per day, and reaches its full strength in 7 days. It's hot and humid here in Durban, so sure it'll be ready to test next weekend.
And so its full by now I guess

I wish! Haven't had a gap to move it from the garage yet, and I also need to get the overflow box laser cut. Work has had me chained to the desk the last two weeks :m24: :m24: :m24:
Ask for a day off for reefing :lol:
I will place the tank inside this weekend though, and fill it up to the holes to give it a partial pressure test. Then glue the overflow and plumbing in hopefully during the week as I find some spare time
Good luck. Hope all goes well :m106: waiting to see this

Sorry to disappoint, but only got the tank into place this evening. Missing about 1mm on the left side near the end where I sanded a bit to much when making the cabinet. Going to have to add a bit of foam under the right side to level it off better. Luckily it's only about the last 2cm from the end, so it should be fine anyway, but will still level it more before filling the tank up to the level of the first hole. Hopefully I can get the overflow box done this week!

Loving the dimensions of the tank now that it's in its place!

Attachments

• IMG_20210214_214918.jpg
    IMG_20210214_214918.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 7
Sorry to disappoint, but only got the tank into place this evening. Missing about 1mm on the left side near the end where I sanded a bit to much when making the cabinet. Going to have to add a bit of foam under the right side to level it off better. Luckily it's only about the last 2cm from the end, so it should be fine anyway, but will still level it more before filling the tank up to the level of the first hole. Hopefully I can get the overflow box done this week!

Loving the dimensions of the tank now that it's in its place!
Looks lekke bud. Quite a step up from the small tank. :m108:

Back
Top Bottom