Brentch's first tank, 4 ft mixed reef...

Discussion in 'Large Tanks' started by brentch, 8 Apr 2012.

1. brentch

brentch

Hey guys,

So this is a thread for my first fish tank. It has been running since november 2011...
    It's a 1.2m x 700mm x 700mm tank in 10mm glass, euro braced top and bottom.
    I have a Reef octo extreme 200 with LR, a DSB, algae scrubber, and I run antiphos, carbon and purigen in the last chamber of my sump.

I manually dose EVERYTHING! It's a bit of a mission but i don't really mind... I use the seachem advantage range and brightwells iodine and trace elements.

I have 8 T5 ATI lights, but thinking of maybe adding two 150w MH, and using the T5s for supplementary colour.

My parameters are stable,
    PO4: 0
    NO3: 3-7ppm (can't get it to 0)
    NH4: 0
    Salinity: never test as use NSW, and top up to a specific level...
    Mg:1250-1300
    Ca:330-410 (Varies according to how often i dose kalk... never dips below 330)
    dKH: 7.7-8.5 (usually around here, but it did dip once to 6 when i first started up the tank, and wasn't dosing buffer)
    pH: 8.2-8.5
    I: 0.06 (only just started testing)

Check out the pics and PLEASE give me advice:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

[​IMG]

5. Afsal

Afsal

Very nice looking tank ..... Well done and it being your forst marine tank , its really looks tops

brentch likes this.
  6. Esmond

Esmond

Looking great dude.

7. Annoying

Annoying

Amazing looking tank :thumbup:

8. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I was expecting more negative feedback:whistling:

I have three things I am not happy with though at the moment. 1st, my jaw fish move 18kg of sand around the tank at will, taking frags and all kinds of other stuff with them. This is relatively easy to solve, i'll remove them this week some time. I've been in two minds about this as they are such characters, and recently they spawned (no fry survived)...

2nd, I am not that happy with the lighting I have at the moment... The T5s are nice, especially for colour, but I am quite an impatient person, so i'd like them to grow a bit faster, hence i'm looking into DIYing 2 150w MHs, probably 12 - 16000K. Then i'll use the T5s for a combo of the ATI purple plus (2), Blue plus (2), Actinic (2), and maybe coral plus (2)...

3rd, my calcium gets used up as fast as I can replace at the moment and I have to basically dose about 3g a day. I use 15ml of vinegar to dissolve it in, then add it to 1.5l of top up water... Can my tank cope with 15ml of vinegar almost ever day? What will dosing this do, as it is a source of Carbon?

Lastly, I bought a pin cusion from a fellow reefer about 4 weeks ago. It was fine for about a week, extending it's polyps fully (about 6-8cm). But it has been 2 weeks since it has opened. It has a slime layer, but i'm still a bit worried. I'll post a pic later this afternoon or tonight of it for you guys to see. My other two leathers are perfect, and one is actually quite close to this one, so lighting and flow can be ruled out as a problem. My parameters are also stable, and nothing is eating it... There is also a small lump of tissue about 2cm from the base of the pin cushion which has also started developing polyps, and it looks healthy. The coral is still firm, and not flaking or going mushy yet; it still feels firm. If things continue downhill I will pull it off the rock and frag it, maybe in a week or two... Does anyone agree with this or should I possibly do something else?

Other things I have done is frag one orange ricordea mushroom, and they seem to be doing just fime on my DSB in my sump (you can see them in the pic of my sump). I also fragged my branching hammer with a hacksaw blade, and all the heads are extended nicely...

Also I added my DIY algae scrubber about 4 weeks ago, and only now do I have signs of algae growing... I think because my PO4 is 0, the algae can't grow without it, so my nitrates stay in excess.

Oh, and my fish don't eat dry food, they hate it, and never touch it, so I feed frozen seafood mix, with mussels, crayfish, grunter (or any other light colour fish like slinger etc), oysters, hake roe and shrimp. I feed 3 times a day when at varsity, and four on weekends. Only what they can eat in about 3 mins.

Anyway, any constructive feedback would be great:)

Brent

9. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Oh yes I nearly forgot, Can anyone ID my frogspawn in pic 5 behind the 2 goldies?

SHOT!!!:lol:

10. Afsal

Afsal

U've id'd it already as a frogspawn ....

11. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

genus and species name:)?

12. Annoying

Annoying

I'm not so sure that is a frogspawn please anyone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see the little bulbs on the side of the tentacles as what you would typically see on a frogspawn. Looks more like a torch coral but I could be wrong. Is it still new in the tank?

I'm guessing it's molting it has been reported to can last a few weeks, give it some good flow for a week and see if it gets better.

brentch likes this.
  13. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Oh okay cool, yes you are right, it doesn't have 2ndary "buldbs". The oke at the shop said it was a species of frogspawn, and I took his word for it.

Ya i'll give it a week or two and hope for the best...

14. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Just googled "torch coral" and the exact same thing came up as my specimen... The bastard at the shop either lied or is just as dumb as the buyer:lol: Thanks @Annoying!

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Annoying

Annoying

Pleasure, no the torch, hammer and frogspawn are easily confused as in the first few weeks in the tank they ratract a lot but later show their beautiful long tenticles. They are all from the same family euphyllia sp.

16. 2balive

2balive

Torches also sometime "become" frog-spawns like the one in my tank. Think light and/or flow conditions makes them grow differently .

There is definitely some torches that stays torches and some frogs that will never become torches.

Some like the one in my tank came from a colony that grows as a torche (single tip) and after a two months in my tank become a frog (multi tipped on the same tentacle) while the mother colony (last time I checked) is still in torche configuration.

17. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Here some more photos...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Here's my poor pin cushion... What do you guys recon I should do? Wait? Frag? Flush down the toilet?[​IMG]

It's been like this for 3 and a 1/2 weeks...

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

as long as its not rotting away, I would leave it. Are you running phosphate remover?

20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

nice looking system, love the scaping.. as the happer branches out im sure it will become more dramatic..

lovley.. keep it up...

brentch likes this.
  21. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Yes... Should I remove it for a while? Or maybe take half out?

Thanks leslie, I have placed most of my corals now and want to let it settle... From now on i'd like to get my hands on some blue, red and pink zoanthids and ricordeas, maybe one or two more softies, like a colt coral or kenya tree, a few SPS for the higher parts of my tank and some fish (I'm gonna SCUBA dive them if I can). But I first need to concentrate on getting my pin cushion back to health...

Do you guys think by adding 2 150w MH, i'll get better growth, or will it be overkill? I also like that shimmer MH's give to the tank...

Recent Posts