Brendan's TL 550

Reaction score
Hey all :yeahdude:

I am new to this site so here goes the first post of hopefully many :)

26th September 2013, the day I bought my Boyu TL 550 as my smaller cube wasn't cutting the mustard. The tank is completely stock, no upgrades have been made to the tank.

I am using water from the 2 Oceans Aquarium in the waterfront, so far the water has been good, salinity has been a touch low at 1.021. Been having slight pH troubles as well, but then I tested it at night and the difference of pH from morning to night is clear.

My project is to have a reef dominated tank with a few fish, but softies have my attention big time. I also love my inverts. :)

Livestock is as follows:

2x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Peppermint Shrimp
1x Sexy Shrimp
2x Neritas Grazer Snails
1x Bumble Bee Snail
1x Limpet
1x Porcelain Crab

Softies:

2x Zoad frags
1x Xenia
1x Euphyllia

Fish:

0 :tt2:

So here is a picture of it after 2 months

My lovely euphyllia but not so happy (for the time being) xenia

2 cleaners and a bumble bee hitch hiker

Question. Is the placement of the powerhead justified? I placed it there to create flow directly onto the back rock for filtration and minimize dead spots behind the large amount of LR I have.

:)

RiaanP

Reaction score
Interesting hitchhiker.
Just note that not all bumble bee snails are reef safe. Just check what it does. Most act as cleaners, going after leftover food. What does yours eat?

Reaction score
Hey all :yeahdude:

I am new to this site so here goes the first post of hopefully many :)

26th September 2013, the day I bought my Boyu TL 550 as my smaller cube wasn't cutting the mustard. The tank is completely stock, no upgrades have been made to the tank.

I am using water from the 2 Oceans Aquarium in the waterfront, so far the water has been good, salinity has been a touch low at 1.021. Been having slight pH troubles as well, but then I tested it at night and the difference of pH from morning to night is clear.

My project is to have a reef dominated tank with a few fish, but softies have my attention big time. I also love my inverts. :)

Livestock is as follows:

2x Cleaner Shrimp
2x Peppermint Shrimp
1x Sexy Shrimp
2x Neritas Grazer Snails
1x Bumble Bee Snail
1x Limpet
1x Porcelain Crab

Softies:

2x Zoad frags
1x Xenia
1x Euphyllia

Fish:

0 :tt2:

So here is a picture of it after 2 months

My lovely euphyllia but not so happy (for the time being) xenia

2 cleaners and a bumble bee hitch hiker

Question. Is the placement of the powerhead justified? I placed it there to create flow directly onto the back rock for filtration and minimize dead spots behind the large amount of LR I have.

:)
Welcome TO MASA> you will learn a great deal here.

You are off to a good start but there are 1 or two things you can change so that your tank can run a bit better.

What do you have in the back as filtration ?
How often do you do water changes?

Rather point your powerhead towards the front panel so the flow bounces of the glass. This way you will get more random flow. Also maybe rescape - but have a move open scape gaps so that the flow can go through the front -out the back. if that makes sense.

Then I will look at the substrate - it looks like crushed shells and are very course.You will have a lot of detritus settling in between and this. You can replace it with some aragonite or If you stay close to the beach -you can collect sand -but be sure to collect below the high water mark and also make sure its clean. You can change it without removing your water or rocks. Just siphon out a little at a time and add the sand. Make sure you only remove about a quarter at a time,id say once a week, so you give the live in your sand to go to the new sand.

But your tank looks great.

Reaction score
What do you have in the back as filtration ?
How often do you do water changes?

Rather point your powerhead towards the front panel so the flow bounces of the glass. This way you will get more random flow. Also maybe rescape - but have a move open scape gaps so that the flow can go through the front -out the back. if that makes sense.

Then I will look at the substrate - it looks like crushed shells and are very course.You will have a lot of detritus settling in between and this. You can replace it with some aragonite or If you stay close to the beach -you can collect sand -but be sure to collect below the high water mark and also make sure its clean. You can change it without removing your water or rocks. Just siphon out a little at a time and add the sand. Make sure you only remove about a quarter at a time,id say once a week, so you give the live in your sand to go to the new sand.

But your tank looks great.
1. In the tiny 'sump' it has the standard bio balls and carbon pellets, I have added a few tiny pieces of LR in it as well but nothing to get excited about

2. I do water changes 2 times a week, over a week I will have changed approximately 28 litres.

3. I could rescape, but isn't more live rock better for filtration if you have sufficient current?

4. The substrate was 5 kg's of marine sand, then the top layer looks to be crushed shells, I sprinkled the crushed shells over for a decorative effect.

Thanks for the awesome Reply :thumbup:

mornewil

Morne
Reaction score
Hey man great tank. These tanks has load of potential. Good luck and enjoy.

Just some tips...

1. In the tiny 'sump' it has the standard bio balls and carbon pellets, I have added a few tiny pieces of LR in it as well but nothing to get excited about
Remove the tiny liverock pieces. Doesnt get enough flow through the back and will just collect detritus.
Also remove bioballs and ceramic noodles as many say they become a schlep to keep clean otherwise they just become nitrate factories.

Rather get some filter wool to collect floating particles before skimmer and change this out twice a week.
Also could get some chemical medias in your 3rd chamber to help filtration. Chemipure and phosguard

3. I could rescape, but isn't more live rock better for filtration if you have sufficient current?
True more liverock is better but in a smaller tank not so good as you create alot of deadspots for detritus to build up over time. As Charl said rather open your scape a bit more so the flow can get through the rocks.

Reaction score
Hey man great tank. These tanks has load of potential. Good luck and enjoy.

Just some tips...

Remove the tiny liverock pieces. Doesnt get enough flow through the back and will just collect detritus.
Also remove bioballs and ceramic noodles as many say they become a schlep to keep clean otherwise they just become nitrate factories.

Rather get some filter wool to collect floating particles before skimmer and change this out twice a week.
Also could get some chemical medias in your 3rd chamber to help filtration. Chemipure and phosguard

True more liverock is better but in a smaller tank not so good as you create alot of deadspots for detritus to build up over time. As Charl said rather open your scape a bit more so the flow can get through the rocks.
Thank you for the advice bud.

I had a look at your mighty fine:thumbup: TL 550 you had. I hope you are able to start it up again. But I will also use some of the advice on that thread for myself if you dont mind :)

RiaanP

Reaction score
Hi mods, could you please put this thread in the 'boyu tl 450 and tl 550' section? If you could rename it to "Brendan's TL 550" or something, that would rock. Please put this where it belongs
done

Reaction score
So after some thought I have a shortlist of the fish I want to keep in the aquarium. I am going for the smaller fish for obvious reasons :)

1 x Ocellaris Clownfish
1 x Bicolour Blenny
1 x Tiger Watchman Goby
2 x Catalina Goby
2 x Firefish
1 x White Banded Possum Wrasse

And eventually I will have my mandarin:yeahdude:

So guys, any thoughts and further recommendations?

Reaction score
Good morning people :)

So finally arriving home, the second thing on the agenda was Aquascaping.

Here is the result.

I took a huge piece out, opened it up a lot and I think it looks a whole load better.

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice you gave earlier, since then I have added phosguard and taken out those bio balls. The substrate is still unchanged, only difference is I added 2 sand sifting snails to keep the sandbed cleaner.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice you gave earlier, since then I have added phosguard and taken out those bio balls. The substrate is still unchanged, only difference is I added 2 sand sifting snails to keep the sandbed cleaner.
More pics

What do you guys think the pink growth left of the feather duster is? star polyps?

Very nice, I like the cleaner shrimp. They add so much to a reef. That looks like GSP. They do grow very quickly and tend to overgrow things so it might be a good idea to keep an eye on them or even separate the rock from the rest. They are awesome and I still have them in my tank so no need to remove them.

But your setup has come a long way. keep the pics coming

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Simeondupreez Wanted 2
Brendan6 Large Tanks 33
Brendan6 Medium Tanks 103
Brendan6 Medium Tanks 256
Brendan6 Medium Tanks 84
Top Bottom