Brendan's Red Sea Reefer 525xl

Reaction score
Hi all,

After many years with my old tank, I have taken a step up in size, but most importantly, quality.

Andrew over at Viking Aquatics hooked me up with a great price on this tank. Andrew, thanks bro, now it's time to share the progress.

The tank arrived about 3 months ago, just after I left on a work trip and it sat in my garage for 10 weeks, just waiting for me to return. A solid crate rocked up with loads of goodies inside.

And then the looooong wait began as I spent 10 weeks sailing from Congo to Trinidad, to Mobile US, to Guyana. As soon as I got home the work began. I assembled the stand as much as I could before reaching the point where I could not achieve any more.

The next step would be to empty my running tank and move it out of the way, as it was in the spot that the Reefer needed to be, so with a lot of help we drained the tank as much as needed and moved it 2 meters to the right and refilled the tank as quickly as possible to avoid stress on the fish. Once all of that was done we moved the Reefer stand into place and placed the Reefer onto the stand.

When the time came to do the transfer, I went and collected 200L of Two Oceans water to add some NSW to the tank. The plan was to transfer 90% of the old tanks water straight into the Reefer525 and then transfer all livestock. The plan went well and everything was easily moved without any hiccups.

The following step was to add the STC1000 plus heaters to the display and over the remainder of the afternoon and evening, slowly add the Two Oceans water as it was very cold. We gradually filled it over time and it worked. Once the display was full, I filled the sump up

I needed to get some 25mm soft pipe for the return pump, this was the only item I had to get as I used 32mm on my former tank.

Last edited:
Shortly after the tank was plumbed completely, I hit the switch and the Reefer was officially up and running. What a relief! It took a lot of work to get it running and so far I have not had any ill effects from the transfer and the tank is just...I mean it's just next level!

I have a couple of things still to do on the tank but the basics are up and running. It's small things like sorting out the electrical station, getting a proper scape and making a light bracket for the tank. These will come in time but, yes, the quality of this build is just amazing.

Shortly after the tank was plumbed completely, I hit the switch and the Reefer was officially up and running. What a relief! It took a lot of work to get it running and so far I have not had any ill effects from the transfer and the tank is just...I mean it's just next level!

I have a couple of things still to do on the tank but the basics are up and running. It's small things like sorting out the electrical station, getting a proper scape and making a light bracket for the tank. These will come in time but, yes, the quality of this build is just amazing.

Stunning tank.
Are you running a curve 5 or 7 in there?

The size says it all, you gonna be watching more tanked so cancel the DStv :m81:.Looking good bud

Looks good Brenda, Happy reefing days ahead :cheers2:

Thank you gents for the kind words. Right now I have a few things on the to do list with the tank and they are (in no particular order):

1. Sort out electronics
2. Build a bracket for the lighting
3. Set up refugium
4. Loc line return nozzles for a less direct water return
5. Lighting for the cabinetry and sump, it gets really dark

May I suggest considering an upgrade for your skimmer?I have a Curve 7 on my 450 and think I might be pushing it already.

New tank looks a lot better than the old system, especially that old stand...

Howzit @RiaanP ,I must agree. After years of reefing I decided to try for the fully pro setup, knowing my DIY skills are not that hot.

I have just added 3 wrasse to the system. A melanurus wrasse, a carpenters wrasse and a green wrasse. Once I have good photos I will share.

In the mean time...

Howzit @RiaanP ,I must agree. After years of reefing I decided to try for the fully pro setup, knowing my DIY skills are not that hot.

I have just added 3 wrasse to the system. A melanurus wrasse, a carpenters wrasse and a green wrasse. Once I have good photos I will share.

In the mean time...

Here We go again, You and Your Wrasse’s......:tt2:
Tanks Looking Great Bud

In the mean time...

wow look at that man . stunning @Brendan6

Looking really good. How are you managing to keep the temp under control as I don't see any fans or a Chiller? I also noticed that you running your skimmer in the front section of your sump and the refugium in the back. Do you find it works better. Reason I ask is I am waiting to take delivery of a 425xl as soon as I move my current system and I don't know what expect.

Back
Top Bottom