Brendan's Rebooted 1.3m

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Brendan6, 8 Feb 2018.

1. Brendan6

Brendan6

The time for a reboot has come. This was not due to a crash of the old system, fortunately not at all. I have recently spend 5 months out at sea in the last 7 months and during that time I had my RO-XP-3000 SSS skimmer pack up and it caused an algae farm. This has been an excellent chance to give the old substrate a severe rinse, break out the dead rock and scrub-a-dub the cobwebs out, literally.

So here we go, same tank, fresh black painted backround, a modest Bubble Mangus curve 5 skimmer. The plan is chaeto chaeto...as always with me, few fish, lots of zoas and some clams, lps and only one or 2 sticky sticks. I will be neatening up the electronics for this build and replaced my durso.

I shall post some photo's later today, its too late right now to worry about those shananagins. The pumps are being vinegar bathed, the scape is done and all I need to do is fill the tank for the cycle to start. The livestock is currently in a boyu holding tank.

Attached is the tank before it went south.

IMG_0211 (2).JPG

Keshen, tekkengal and Dian6430 like this.
  2. Guest

3. Dian6430

Dian6430

Ahhh mista Brenda. Good to see you started a thread bud. The new version will kick the old one's ass. All the best with it

Brendan6 likes this.
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

How much livestock survived? And good luck on the re-start.

5. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

I have had a few zoa colonies looking bleak but I have not lost any corals, they have just been on the decline in recent months. As for fish, I had my female melanurus get into the overflow box and then jump as well as my foxface, he suddenly just got skinny even though he had algae for days as well as he was an active eater of flakes and mysis.

The fish list is as follows:
    Tennenti tang
    Male blue star leopard wrasse
    Male melanurus wrasse
    Royal Gramma
    Diamond back sand sifting goby

6. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

Nice Brendan, looking forward to the reboot. We need a proper dodgy looking "before" pic with algae and all.

Rennie likes this.
  7. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

Haha fair enough but the second I get home from an offshore trip I clean like a madman so no photo's get taken of the mess. You will just have to accept...NO PICS :m28:

So we have pictures of the inmates in the boyu and pictures of semi filled tank. The scape has loads of caves and flat rocks for my lps. I am not a fan of the rock wall, swimming space for the win.
    4.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Keshen and tekkengal like this.
  8. Rennie

Rennie

Nice-one Brenda, scaping looks spot-on, happy days to follow :slayer::slayer:

Dian6430 likes this.
  9. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Tank looks good! Like the clam contrast to the green brain!

10. hotdog83

Nice, the scaping looks good. That poor tennenti must think he is in jail at the moment in that Boyu. :lol:

11. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

Indeed my friend. Looking forward to those tube nenny babies from your tank :thumbup:

Thanks Tek, I think I might try keep the brain and the clam close by when they are in the main tnk for the contrast. The brain helps the clam look much less brown haha

Thanks bud and I agree, she wont be totally happy until she is back in her tank. But lets hope its going to be an ok temp solution.

Well here we have the main island scape, the water has cleared up very well as its TwoOceans sea water.

6.jpg

Keshen, tekkengal and Dian6430 like this.
  12. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

So a quick update. I have decided to go bit on the chaeto in the sump, I believe it will be a sufficient primary filtration method with a BM curve 5 to support it. So when I am home from the holiday in Scottsbrough, I will be working on the sump. I have also decided that I need a much higher turnover, I am aiming for 10x so that means I will probably buy a Jebao DCP6000, any other suggestions/experiences/words of advice regarding this pump or any other similar pumps?

We have a full display, the curve 5 has taken out a lot of the shit but it has now returned to the boyu to keep the livestock company. I also could not resist the chance to take a photo of my Seiko watch fish :whistling::m01:

IMG_0665.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0663.jpg

tekkengal likes this.
  13. hotdog83

On the return pump, I’ve used Jebao before over the last few years and never really had any issues with their return pumps. Only problems I’ve had with Jebao was with flow pumps that stopped working.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The new Jecod DCP pumps should be fine to use. I have a DCT (grey one) which is just before the DCP and it has been going fine now for over 2 years. I also have 2 older DC-12000 pumps (the blue ones) but they both give issues every now and then. Failure to start up and then stopping after a few seconds. They DC-????? range seems to have a need for cleaning more often than the newer ones.

Brendan6 and tekkengal like this.
  15. 2una

2una

DCP 10000 return here but only in a short time, been flawless for those 5 month's tho

Brendan6 likes this.
  16. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

Thanks for the feedback bud. A friend of mine has had a bit of a lemon jebao dc pump so its one of those things. That's what warranty's are for hey. :m38:

Thanks for the awesome reply Marius, I really appreciate it.

So I am on holiday here in Scottbrough, KZN and I am having a blast. Bucket pics shall be loaded at the end of the trip.

1 x Halichoeres zulu. Zulu wrasse. (released)
    2 x worlds smallest Labroides dimidiatus. Cleaner wrasse.
    1 x Cirrhitichthys oxycephalus. Coral hawkfish.
    2 x large algae destroying blenny (released)
    lots of common wrasses (released)
    1 x Scorpionfish (released)

Last edited: 18 Feb 2018
  17. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

Photo's of some of the critters. I never made a habit of taking my phone with me to the beach so I only have a few pics. 1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg

Keshen and Dian6430 like this.
  18. hotdog83

Nice, that cleaner wrasse’s mother is probably still looking for him. :lol:

19. OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

I am in the vaal for a few days, having some family time. I the zoanthids I collected are in my parents tanks and are doing well, very glad I managed to get some lovely KZN zoas and a coolerbox full load of snails and hermits.

Regarding the pump, I bought a Jebao DCP 6500, so that on my tank with head height should be well over 10 times turnover. I also purchased a replacement zetlight fan for my light unit as well as a light unit for my dedicated coral QT tank. A zetlight 1201-L, very happy with the super awesome small light. Every single coral frag will be dipped in coral revive and kept for at least a month before being added to my display tank.

1.jpeg 2.jpeg

20. Threadmark: The tank is stocked.
    OP
    Brendan6

Brendan6

So the cycle has been dealt with and it is slightly stocked. Some of the corals are in the tank and as are all of the fish. I have set up a coral QT tank to deal with all corals that have or potentially have aiptasia as I do not want to have the same issue in my restart.

Coral QT is a 20-something liter boyu, its got a heater and a tunzee nanostream powerhead. It is lit by a Zetlight 1201-A, the version with the controller and I am loving this little unit.

coral qt.jpeg fts.jpeg mizuki.jpeg

Keshen, Dian6430 and Rennie like this.
  21. hotdog83

Looks good! How are you going to deal with the aiptasia?

Recent Posts