Breeding the Mandarin

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by Braco, 6 Apr 2011.

1. Braco

Braco

Hi Anyone ever attempted locally to breed the Mandarin..?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

i think jaco schoeman tried but im not 100% sure

4. Braco

Braco Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply..it is quite a beautiful fish to have and i can imagine what pleasure it would bring if it can be tank bred.

5. FransSny

FransSny

He gave it a bash as well as mandarinman....

problem is egg harvesting :p

6. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Wasnt Marcel thinking of trying to breed them? I know that spawning is a regular thing for them in captivity, but not sure how many people have had success bring the babies to adulthood if any in South Africa.

7. FransSny

FransSny

Steve has done it if I remember correctly

8. chas84

chas84

Tagging along...

9. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Yep, it is still planned. To let them spawn is not a problem and to catch the eggs is also not a problem. But these eggs are bloody tiny. The eggs have to be kept in a water column until hatching, From there the larvae has to be kept alive until fully developed for feeding. Hygiene is the issue here. First feed? Not sure about it, yet. Next problem will be second sized prey as mandarins are not feeding out of the water column. They pick from the bottom. I have a solution for that, but until the second prey kicks in, the mission is already a difficult one.

First I need my permits for ocellaris and perculas, I will extend them later to other species as well.

Everybody who experienced the spawning event of mandarins, can imagine how difficult it must be. Not impossible at all, but difficult. Raising clowns is a walk in park compare to mandarins.

10. LuckyFish

Done it or tried it?

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Yes, as Luckyfish said. Breeding is not the issue, a bit of candle light, rainy weather and voala... Cathing the eggs are also not a trainsmash, but you need to be there when it happens, so having a 9-5 job makes that difficult.

But the problem comes in at feeding the fry. Mandarin fry are some of the smallest in the ocean. You would need a good culture of phyto and rotifier, then you might attempt it.

Another thing to consider is that most mandarins you buy only eat live food, so you would need to feed live brine daily. This in itself is an excersise.

I would recommend setting up a tank in the meantime, with a mean refugium. Let the pod population in the explode, which will help feeding the broodstock parents, but will later feed the babies once they reach the right size.

Then try and get your hands on rotifier starter colony (good luck with that) and also some phyto.

Get that breeding with success, and figure out the in's and out's of that. And only once you have mastered hatching and harvesting rotifier, phyto and have your refuge at prime condition, then you get your first male and female mandarin.

Good luck - it is a long process.

12. brentv

brentv

Just a question regarding Rotifer, I occasionally go in the evenings with a bright torch and collect loads of planktonic creatures in tidal pools and dump them in to feed my goldies and corals. Could you not start a culture by sifting out the bigger plankton and providing Phyto/ greenwater to these little guys:whistling:.
    And also at a later stage feed slightly bigger larvae, know matter what type (clownfish, cardinals or even Mandarins???) with plankton collected directly from tidal pools?

13. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Brent, I am no expert at this really, but I would imagine that will work yes, however, withing that soup of live food, you will have hunters and hunteds. Some plankton will start feeding on other plankton, so one strain might rule...

14. brentv

brentv

Jaco, those were my thoughts coz yeah definately you gonna get the goodies and baddies.
    Just regarding breeding and sorry maybe I should start another thread but anyone had luck with cleaner shrimps?? Mine have eggs every few weeks and only release the larvae wants they are seemingly quite big!!! I would imagine they are scavengers from the begining like the parents?:blush:

15. LuckyFish

Cleaners are not worth to do. Quickest settlement recorded was done by Louis de Magnasco from Buenos Aires. 120 days! Survival rate until then was below 1%.

Recent Posts