Breeding my black onyx true percula clownfish

Discussion in 'Breeding fish' started by viper357, 7 Aug 2010.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Thought I would start a thread on my trials and tribulations of trying to breed my pair of Black Onyx True Percula clownfish.

So far they have laid 2 batches of eggs, I missed the hatching of the first batch as I mis-understood the stage when the eggs would hatch, bit of an information overload I think as I have been reading so much that I think my little brain got a bit confused. :p Anyway, the 2nd batch was laid on the 30th July, so they should be hatching in the next day or two.

After the first batch of eggs hatched it took about a week for the fish to lay another batch of eggs, so it looks like the parents are happy with their surroundings so I'm hoping if they continue to lay eggs so often then I should be able to eventually figure out how to rear them successfully, there will be a lot of trial and error I'm sure.

Here are some pics so long...

The parents, sorry about the terrible photo's, I really need to learn how to use my camera. These fish are stunning, I just wish I could figure out how to take nice photo's of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first batch of eggs that I missed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The latest batch of eggs...

[​IMG]

The parents tending to the eggs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The male (the smaller fish) constantly fans the eggs with his fins and also cleans the eggs with his mouth.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  4. Slummies

Slummies

very nice.. you going to sell offspring? how much?

5. mandarinman

mandarinman

good luck

Last edited: 7 Aug 2010
  6. Pads

Pads

Awesome, I wish you the best of luck, those are some really pretty fish. I'll be following to see how you go. :thumbup:

7. FransSny

FransSny

Very cool Viper...good luck, keep us posted

8. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

Thanks for the good wishes guys, I'm going to need it. :p

Thanks, I've got most of those pages printed out, plus more print outs from loads of other websites, I have been doing so much reading my head is sore, been reading in the lounge, been reading in the garden, in the kitchen, on the toilet....and after all that reading I still missed the first hatching. :lol:

Not sure if I'll have enough success to be able to sell them, plus the fact that these fish can take up to a year to fully develop is a bit of a downer, I'll probably just try my hand at rearing a batch or two just for the experience, then let nature take it's course and the larvae can become fish food in the reef tank.

9. viper357

I think tonight is the night, I thought there was a slight possibility the eggs would have hatched last night but today they have most definitely changed colour, the egg's have gone a silvery transparent and all the eyes are a bright silver. the male is also vigorously fanning the eggs non-stop, I have never seen him so busy with the eggs like this before, he is really going all out.

I've been battling to get pics, will have a proper look at them when I download them later tonight. So I may just be a daddy to about 200 baby clowns in about 2 hours time. :p

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

get ready to remove parents!

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

How you going to get the champaign to us.:1:

12. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

If you are not sure when the larvae is going to hatch, because of fluctuating temperature as an example, you should feed the parents during the day and before the lights are going off. Thats what I do. The night when they are going to hatch, they are not interested in food at all. I bought a temperature controller to keep the temperature on the dot. Also the day when they spawn, they usually not so interested to eat and rather busy cleaning the pot/rock.

13. LuckyFish

Special tip how to feed clowns

[​IMG]

14. LuckyFish

???

15. viper357

lol, thanks for the advice and the photo. :lol:

Ok, so...a fairly productive night and a big learning curve for me, wow, lots of excitement. :D

1 hour and 25 minutes after lights out I went to the tank and shone a red torch on the eggs, they had all hatched, so I got a normal torch and shone it on the surface and waited, about 30 seconds later my first little fishy came swimming into the light, fantastic, now I'm getting really excited :p, then a few more came, I started scooping them out and got quite a few out then I tried siphoning and that seemed a lot easier and I got quite a few more out, in total I think I got about 30 to 40 babies into the larvae tank (this tank is completely blacked out). I noticed there were a few that were floating on the surface that were dead, not sure why.

So all in all a successful evening catching some babies, now the hard part comes, feeding them and hoping they survive.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2010
  16. viper357

Here's a photo of one of the dead babies, about 3mm to 4mm long I think.

[​IMG]

17. viper357

Another one where you can see the silver eye

[​IMG]

18. LuckyFish

You take chances. If they wouldn´t have hatched and you would shine the torch onto the eggs, they would hatch only in the following night.
    Every interuption during the hatching will lead to problems with the larvae.
    If the larvae can´t hatch as planned, they have to spend 24 hours more in their egg and usually they will be to weak to swim to the surface in the following night.
    I would give them at least 2 to 2.5 hours time before you look if everybody hatched as planned.
    Dean, never shine onto the eggs. If you do so, the eggs will die off. Depending on how strong the lights are. Taking pictures from the eggs, only without flash!!!!!!
    Dead larvae after the hatch can be due to a lack of broodstock nutrition. Your clown parents should eat until the don´t want anymore. Food variety is the key for healthy larvae. Waterparameter are really not important. I am running 70mg nitrate in my system and I don´t have problems with the eggs or larvae at all.
    Larvae gets easily caught on the surface if there is a tiny oilfilm present. That problem will be present for the next three days. Make sure there is no such film at the surface. I always skimm the surface after I set up my larvae snagger to avoid the dead floating babies.;)

viper357 likes this.
  19. viper357

I know, but I'm a noob at this and the excitement was just too much. :p
    Understood.
    Too late, I did that a couple of days ago, I took two photo's of the eggs with flash then I thought to myself, "you stupid idiot". :(
    I think that could have been the problem. Being in an 8ft reef tank is not ideal to hatch the eggs. Too many variables and too many hungry fish etc. etc.

Thanks for all the tips Marcel, appreciate all of it. But practice makes perfect and I am determined to get this right. I have an empty 120 litre tank which I think I should setup and move my 2 clownfish into, that way I will have more control over everything, I just want to maybe hatch one or two more batches so that I can practice feeding the fry with rotifers etc.

20. LuckyFish

Have a look at the larvae snagger I use. Simply build and the pictures should give you an idea how to build it so it is useful for your set up.

How to catch newly hatched fish larvae - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I know how it feels, if you want to see the first fry coming up. Man, was I tired after every hatch. Now I just go to bed and let them hatch.;)

21. FransSny

FransSny

Hell , Marcel, your DIY ideas once again amazes me ! BTW very nice advice given here , Thanx

Recent Posts