Breaking up liverock!

Discussion in 'Nano Tank advice' started by LRS, 18 Jan 2009.

1. LRS

LRS

I'm not too chuffed with how my rock looks,now I've read that you can break it up. Is this true? And how do you do it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Yes

Any way you like - hit it with a hammer (and chisel if you like...), use an angle grinder, some thin, flat rocks could even be broken by hand.

If you would like more control over how/where it breaks I would suggest that you use a masonry drill, and drill small holes along the joint where you want it to break - still not guaranteed, but it will help...

Just keep one thing in mind - one of the most important advantages of using live rock is that it can process ammonia to nitrite to nitrate close to the surface of the rock, and then convert the nitrate to nitrogen gas in the anaerobic area deep within the rock - if you break the rock into small pieces you will lose some nitrate reducing efficiency... and you might kill worms and other critters living in the rock when you hit, grind or drill the rock...

Hennie

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i understand some of the cons, but i have some bio-rock that just looks to fake...
    going to give it a run thru with my hammer, then use the LR rubble in my dsb

i suppose the dead and dying critters will just fuel the filters etc?

Recent Posts