Urgent help needed brass check valve copper problems

well we dont have a maid and we havent cleaned the glass with any cleaning products and as for air freshener we have a air purifier / freshener thing that swirls and u add the scents too which sits like next to the tank .. but if it wer that wouldnt a water change fix the problem tho... so im completely clueless as to wat this can be . every frag of a coral i stick in lasts a day then by the next day its shriveled up and basicly dead.

Bud, are you joking? Hmm..... On the other hand, you seriously need a mentor of knowledge and fire the ones giving you advice.

Would love to help, but far to many guesses with all the variables creeping in. From copper to toxic paint to ..... Sorry man.

Last edited:
Water will absorb most odours and aerosols so an airfreshner. In the immediate vicinity is a likley culprit. But as NJ stated there are mny vriables. I would run carbon and stop the use of the airfreshner in the same room. And assess after a month but dd bacteria to the system during the cool off period.

so the copper checks out to be zero..
could it be the silicone itself .. coz i know we use normal clear silicone to glue the overflow box to the tank ??

yeah the air freshener been moved for about a week now.
and normal clear silicone

its a alcolin k86 clear mould resistant silicone..
K86.jpg

what led me to think its the silicone is that the silicone around the box has a white layer of something on it and if you rub your finger over it , it flakes of and its like slimey .

also used the same silicone but in black to put together the sump which also has that slimey substance on it .

yeah i know , so question is could that be the reason every frag of coral i throw in my tank dies!..

That's the wrong silicone. That has mould prevention substances which I suspect would be the cause of your issues. You,should have used clear marine silicone.

so thats a definate contender for my issues then ??
in that case ill go out and get marine silicone this week and reseal sump compartments in marine and redo the box..
would i have to scrub the tank .
or can i simply clean off the bad silicone and re silicone with marine and use the existing water or should i do a complete water change aswell as clean off old silicone?

You mentioned that you put some corals in to test the water, are there any fish in the tank?
If so have they been affected at all? If it were the silicone I'm sure the fish if you have any would
Also be showing signs of not being well.
Also how long Has the tank beeb cycling for and wat corals did you add to check the water?
We're they fairly hardy corals?
Sorry for all the questions but it will aid in finding the problem

Definitely will have to clean off the old silicone it's gona be a mission but has to be done I'd recomend a series of three 20% water changes

yes they were a leather and a kenya tree frag the first time .. and then i had a six line and a damsel in there the six line died the day after i bought it and after that i took the damsel out and the corals wer dead by that time..
the tank being cycling for about three weeks now.
at the moment theres a xenia frag in there thats all shriveled up already after about 3 days in there ..

ill definately clean the silicone off during the week and reseal with marine . do i have to take off all silicone or onli the silicone that i added the bad one , it wouldnt have contaminated the rest of the silicone would it?

No you should be abel to just replace the bad silicone.
Could you perhaps post a few pics of your tank,
A few months ago I went through a bit of a strange ordeal with a frag of Xenia , also ended up shrivelling
Up and dying along with my cleaner shrimp,harlequin shrimp, yellow stripe cleaner wrass and long nose butterfly all died over 2 days. Everything else was un affected still can't explain wat went wrong there
Sometimes these things remain a mystery. Did you use natural sea water to fill your tank and for water changes ?

i used aquarium water from the two oceans aquarium for water changes..
ill post pics now now

picture.php

you can see the silicon cleaned half way and the other half has that slimey stuff i was talking bout.
picture.php

more on the inside of the box
picture.php

the shriveled xenia
picture.php

picture.php

you can see the tank still cycling...

You going to have to strip off all the bad silicone and re-glue it with proper marine silicone.
If your tank is still cycling you shouldnt be adding any livestock. Wait for cycle to finish, so all nuisance algae must be gone and parameters must be correct and stable before adding any livestock.
The rocks you use look like they were collected from the beach?

ill be stripping it down and removing the silicone soon .
yes the rocks were from the beach.

Back
Top Bottom