Brand spanking new to this forum

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Robsharkbait, 23 Apr 2014.

1. Robsharkbait

Robsharkbait

Hi guys,

As you might have deducted from the title line, I am new to the Forum.

I would basically like to introduce myself and my new reef tank.

I have been out of the hobby for a very, very long time. I have however recently started up a 2000 litre tank that measures 1.5m x 1.5m x 1m.

It is a work in progress and still needs a lot of fine tuning.

I bought a Skimz SM252 external skimmer to replace the antiquated one that came with the system. I have also added two NP/ Phosphate two little fishes 550 reactors. I have upgraded the lighting system to a mixture of T5 and LED's.

My biggest headache with the tank at the moment is that it has an overflow syphon system installed. I hate this and would much rather have the traditional gravity fed system. Unfortunately the tank is constructed from tempered glass and can not be drilled.

I will have to drain the tank, move the live stock and then remove and replace the back panel with a specially made up - pre drilled pane. This is going to be a nightmare due to the size and weight of the glass. Also logistically challenging as I would like to effect the change over in the shortest possible time frame ;).

Part of this project will be building a decent cabinet and hood to house the tank.

I do not have a lot of live stock at this stage as I would like to complete the glass replacement first. Currently I have 5 yellow tail Damsels, 1 Fanged Blennie and 2 Tomato clowns. (These fish came with the tank). The Damsels will not go back into the tank when the glass pane is replaced. As far as corals goes: I have 1 leather coral, a variety of mushrooms and a variety of Zoeanthids.

I am planning to stock at least 5 Pyramid Butterfly fishes to the tank (as soon as I can get my hands on them :thumbup:). I am also looking for at least 5 Wantanabe Angels. It would be great if any of the members has any suggestions where I could get these. Alternatively I will try to get one of the importers to specifically order these for me.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to the Forum!
    Don't see those fish around in large numbers. You'll have to ask a shop to import them specially for you.
    What corals do you plan to add to the tank?

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

these are nice fish. But do not see them often.

Sure this tank is build with tempered glass? Unless specially build, its not something used that often. And the bottom panel? Fit the overflow hole through that.

5. Robsharkbait

Robsharkbait Thread Starter

Hi RiaanP & 459b,

I am 100% sure that the tank is built with tempered glass all around :(

However, I have already gotten prices on having a replacement pane made.

I am planning to go full spectrum as far as corals goes.
    One of the reasons that I chose a tank with a large volume and surface area is to incorporate a natural looking "reef" with a nice selection of fish.

I am quite keen on keeping multiple fish of the same species - where possible.

I used to keep exotic finches and was successful in breeding the more difficult types.

I would like to try my hand at breeding marine fish as well.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

welcome and good luck, dont forget the pictures...

7. Fishy Steve

Fishy Steve Hiden super user

masahello

Awesome sized tank. Will look forward to he pics. Good luck replacing the pane

Recent Posts